HDTV in the UK

Old December 11th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stan The Man

Default HDTV in the UK

Strictly Come Dancing looks brilliant compared to I'm a Pixel: Get Me
Out of Here!

Stan
Old December 12th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Stan The Man wrote:
Strictly Come Dancing looks brilliant compared to I'm a Pixel: Get Me
Out of Here!

Agreed. As mentioned before I think SCD also benefits from being shot with
HD cameras. What I saw of ITV's jungle show was more like watching something
on YouTube.

--
Mark
Old December 12th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:26:36 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe
wrote:

What "crud" should there be if the lines we are talking about are
specified as active picture lines containing only picture information?

The crap that lazy broadcasters can't be bothered to do anything about.
It's amazing how often the phrase "that's in cutoff" or similar gets
mentioned at work. I usually tell them there is no such thing

I've lost count of the number of times I've told people exactly the
same thing. I think the notion of "cutoff" (in the framing sense) must
be imbued in film schools, which seem to be where a lot of newcomers
to the television industry are coming from these days. These people
are evidently taught a lot of ancient lore and traditions about that
old-fashioned mechanical clickety-clack stuff with sprocket holes down
the sides and then released into an industry that hardly uses it any
more.

but they usually
give me that look that says "I don't know what you're on about so I'll just
ignore it and carry on anyway".

A regrettably common attitude. I wonder if they're taught that at film
school too?

Old December 12th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Stan The Man wrote:
Strictly Come Dancing looks brilliant compared to I'm a Pixel: Get Me
Out of Here!

Agreed. As mentioned before I think SCD also benefits from being shot with
HD cameras. What I saw of ITV's jungle show was more like watching
something on YouTube.

I was present recently when an IT man was showing a group of schoolteachers
how to access U Tube (I know, I know . . .). When the picture came up he
made it full screen and one lady said, "Ohh, isn't it a good picture!"

Old December 12th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:48:42 -0000, "Bill Wright"
wrote:

I was present recently when an IT man was showing a group of schoolteachers
how to access U Tube (I know, I know . . .). When the picture came up he
made it full screen and one lady said, "Ohh, isn't it a good picture!"

Considering it may have come halfway round the world, jostling its
digits with millions of emails, having been shot on somebody's mobile
phone, and then finally delivered to you along a twisted pair of wires
originally intended for 3kHz speech quality audio, it still astounds
me that there is ever a picture there at all. I'm sure J. L. Baird
would have been impressed.