HD Occasional Dropout

Old November 30th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
FoggyF

Default HD Occasional Dropout

I have Sky HD, a Denon 2807 AV-Receiver and a Philips 37PF9830, all
connected together with HDMI cable. The cable from the Sky HD Box to
the Receiver is the standard Sky 1 metre offering, but I have a 10
metre HDMI cable running from the Receiver to the LCD.
My problems is that when viewing HD (live or recorded), at about every
5 minutes (but very variable), I lose the picture/audio for about 5
seconds.
I suspect the (relatively) cheap long HDMI cable (which was necessary
as the wife insisted that cable was out of site), however, I have now
negotiated a shorter route of 3 metres. Is it worth spending money on
a 3m HDMI cable, or is it likely to make no difference at all?
Old November 30th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D.Smith

"FoggyF" wrote in message
I have Sky HD, a Denon 2807 AV-Receiver and a Philips 37PF9830, all
connected together with HDMI cable. The cable from the Sky HD Box to
the Receiver is the standard Sky 1 metre offering, but I have a 10
metre HDMI cable running from the Receiver to the LCD.
My problems is that when viewing HD (live or recorded), at about every
5 minutes (but very variable), I lose the picture/audio for about 5
seconds.
I suspect the (relatively) cheap long HDMI cable (which was necessary
as the wife insisted that cable was out of site), however, I have now
negotiated a shorter route of 3 metres. Is it worth spending money on
a 3m HDMI cable, or is it likely to make no difference at all?

5 seconds seems like a long time for a cable induced drop-out and if your
cable were at fault I would expect the problem to be more common. Have you
confirmed that the Sky box is not the one with the problem? Move the TV
close and hook it up with an analogue cable to ye olde TV and see if you see
the same problem. If so then your dish may be slightly misaligned and/or
loose causing the Sky box to loose the signal.

Paul DS

Old November 30th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
FoggyF

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:27 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for your input. I should have said that I don't think that the
problem is the Sky itself. The reason I think that, is that it
happens during playback of Sky HD recordings. If I rewind a few
seconds, the same section plays without any problems so it can't be
the recording must be OK.
I suspect the 5 seconds is due to the TV re-negotiating and sorting
itself out.
I see many adverts for 3 metre HDMI cables at 16, and an equal number
at 90. I'm just trying to determine if it could be the cable and
whether it is a false economy to go for the cheap one again.

Foggy
Old November 30th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

FoggyF wrote:
I should have said that I don't think that the
problem is the Sky itself. The reason I think that, is that it
happens during playback of Sky HD recordings. If I rewind a few
seconds, the same section plays without any problems so it can't be
the recording must be OK.
I suspect the 5 seconds is due to the TV re-negotiating and sorting
itself out.
I see many adverts for 3 metre HDMI cables at 16, and an equal number
at 90. I'm just trying to determine if it could be the cable and
whether it is a false economy to go for the cheap one again.

High price HDMI cables are mostly a rip-off. Having said that, long runs do
place higher demands on the cable, so it may be that your 10m cable is
inadequate for the job. If possible, I would attempt to confirm that the
cable is at fault by connecting the Sky box directly to the TV with the 1m
lead to check that drop-outs are eliminated. The amplifier is another
possible culprit, since it must act as an HDCP repeater (assuming Sky are
using that), so you could try introducing that into the system with another
short cable run. Or you could run the 10m cable directly to the Sky box,
without the amplifier intervening...

At 3 metres, I would expect all but the most egregiously-constructed HDMI
cable to do the job perfectly, so I would certainly avoid the various
overpriced exotica on offer.

Old November 30th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"FoggyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:27 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

As Pyriform has said, you need to try test set-up's to identify which
component is causing the problem.

Have you any other source (non HD) in your set-up, such as a DVD? I expect
if you have you have connected it directly to the TV. Well you could try
connecting that to the amp and let the amp digitise it instead and see if
you get drop outs.

Old November 30th 06, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
FoggyF

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:26:48 -0000, "John Russell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for all the inputs. I have no problems with the DVD player
through the AV-Receiver. I did bypass the receiver by using the long
HDMI lead to connect between the Sky HD box and the LCD directly. The
result was that there was the odd glitch lasting about half a second,
but no 5 second blank screen. I suspect that the glitch is either the
Sky box itself, or due to the cable, and the 5 second delay is
probably caused by the AV Receiver sorting itself out after the
glitch.

Foggy
Old November 30th 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"FoggyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:26:48 -0000, "John Russell"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:27 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Does the problem occur on every channel, including Standard def programs, or
just particular HD channels? You need to identify if it's a "box" or
"transmission" problem.

Old November 30th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:27 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I would also try the forums on this site:-
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/

Old December 15th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Foggy F

"FoggyF" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:26:48 -0000, "John Russell"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
m...
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:51:27 -0000, "Paul D.Smith"
wrote:

"FoggyF" wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
[...]

Problem solved:
I did purchase a shorter cable (3 metres) and that has solved the
problem. Note that the cable was not even one of the expensive ones
(about 20).
Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Foggy