A bit of a botch

Old November 21st 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default A bit of a botch

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:41:17 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Good old English Electric taught me how to do things *right*

Except write correct English? You mean "properly" or "correctly", not
"right".

No, he means 'right'. The COD entry is longwinded but includes several
definitions that fit his meaning. You're just falling for the fallacy that
three syllables are better than two. I bet you put 'which' when you should
put 'that'.

Old November 21st 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Clem Dye" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
Yeah, but just because people are taught to do things correctly, there's
no guarantee that they will. Combine that with those people who think that
they can do better than the professionals, and those that just want to rip
peaople off it's hardly surprising that all trades have got a bad
reputation, rightly or wrongly. I can't think of one person that I know
who's heart doesn't sink whenever they have to get tradespeople in to do
stuff. Something's wrong somewhere. Perhaps that's why Polish builders are
now in such demand. How's yer Polish, Bill?

Actually someone said the other day that I'd be a lot better if I had a bit
of polish.

Old November 21st 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

The attached photographs show some of the defects as found. Bear in mind
when looking at them that the frayed plastic strapping is the only thing
holding this large installation aloft.

Can that one make it to rogue's gallery (or elsewhere) please?

Don't you worry about that. When the Rogues' Gallery appears at the London
Palladium that shot will be at the top of the bill.

Old November 21st 06, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Marky P" wrote in message
news
Comments, anyone? Is it me? Or is my trade infested by thick stupid
couldn't-give-a-toss criminally incompetent halfwit ****bags?

It wasn't me, honest! Never went near the place!

Marky P.

Of course it wasn't you Marky. It was well above your standards.

Old November 21st 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:30:25 -0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is it me? Or is my trade infested by thick stupid
couldn't-give-a-toss criminally incompetent halfwit ****bags?

No, it seems all pervasive. It will be interesting to see what the
response
is from your property manager chap. Then you will know the state of his
trade as well.

I already know his response. He's in Sue Grabbit and Runne mode.

Old November 21st 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

.. .
wrote:

Comments, anyone? Is it me? Or is my trade infested by thick stupid
couldn't-give-a-toss criminally incompetent halfwit ****bags?

No, it seems all pervasive. It will be interesting to see what the
response
is from your property manager chap. Then you will know the state of his
trade as well.

One has to hope its not too bad since he was smart enough to get Bill in
to comment.

Paul DS.

Cheers for that. I must add that a resident showed me how the floor in one
corner of his living room sagged by 15mm when he stood there (and he was
thin!). Another problem in the building was that the majority of the phone
extension points didn't work. There was also a problem with the main door at
the front, in that it was necessary to take its weight when closing it or it
fouled the frame.

Old November 21st 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
k...
There are so many communal systems which are a disgrace aren't there?

I'm havng a ding dong with a management company at the moment over the
headend in one of their new "luxury"properties.

The system is just a joke. No earth bonding, sat splitters hanging from
the cables, line amps installed IN EACH FLAT to boost poor satellite
signal levels, philex SLX cheap crap amp used to launch terrestrial at
headend (one already pacled up one and got replaced with the same), no
filters, cables hanging from walls in headend like a rats nest, wires from
headend connected in flats incorrectly so Sky+ not available (even though
2 cables from headend feed into back of main wallplate). One cable from
headend has been connected directly behind the wallplate to the return
feed which goes and feeds the splitter in the cupboard. Residents have
called Sky to install Sky+ but Sky monkey says not possible.

It's just a joke, but the arrogant cow from the management company said
there can't be anything wrong as it's just been installed recently. I
specfically told her about the lack of earth bonding and how dangerous it
is for residents but she said not to fix it. She told me I wasnt allowed
to disconnect the feeds either to prevent risk to tenants. I've sent em a
site report mentioning the ladys name and detailing our conversation. I
spoke to some of the tenants and they are rallying behind me against the
management company. I want to put a Taylor launch amp in to replace the
SLX and put the earth bonding right and the residents are well up for that
because the other amp packed up after a few weeks and I told them the
exact same model replacement would do the same shortly.

That sounds like a REALLY bad installation.What are the financial
arrangements? Are they rented properties? Still under defects liability to
the builder? Is there a residents' assn? Do they pay a fixed maintenance
charge?

Old November 21st 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
madge

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:51:47 -0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:

The attached photographs show some of the defects as found. Bear in
mind
when looking at them that the frayed plastic strapping is the only
thing
holding this large installation aloft.

Can that one make it to rogue's gallery (or elsewhere) please?

Don't you worry about that. When the Rogues' Gallery appears at the
London
Palladium that shot will be at the top of the bill.

Or will you be doing another wotsat special?
Old November 21st 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
-

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
[...]

Bill

What are the financial arrangements?
No idea.

Are they rented properties?
Nope all owner occupiers (or perhaps odd one rented out by landlord)

Still under defects liability to the builder?
I would imagine so. From what I can extract from some tenants, it was the
builders who went around installing the sat line amps, and it was the
builders who went and replaced the SLX amp with another one, after I was
called to see why nobody had terrestrial.

Is there a residents' assn?
Presume so.

Do they pay a fixed maintenance charge?
No idea.

It's a real mess, and I only got called because the residents complained
about the lack of terrestrial reception. That's when I found the dead SLX
amp and the can of worms that is the headend. I've tried to get involved
with sorting the mess out but the management agent seems happy to leave it
as it is, with the tenants complaining daily about the unreliable Sky
reception, lack of Sky plus, and expressing their concerns about the cheap
tv amp failing again.

Old November 21st 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Louis Barfe's IbMePdErRoIoAmL

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

No, he means 'right'. The COD entry is longwinded but includes several
definitions that fit his meaning. You're just falling for the fallacy that
three syllables are better than two. I bet you put 'which' when you should
put 'that'.

Well, they're not interchangeable. 'That' is used when the information is
fundamental to the meaning of the sentence, while 'which' is used when it is
supplementary information that can be removed without altering the meaning
of the sentence.