Communal Freeview aerial

Old November 8th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F

Default Communal Freeview aerial

I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal Freeview
aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given the option to be
connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying was vacant at the time so
the option was not taken up. I enquired from the installers for an estimate
to be connected and to also have the service in two other rooms plus a
connection for my computers TV card.
I was told that the charge will be about 185 +VAT for the main connection
and about 258 + VAT for the additional connections. Is this about normal
for the work needed ? I suggested to them that the charge for the additional
leads was more than I expected and was told that it is "rather a large flat"
There are a lot of bigger ones in the building :-)
Derek.

Old November 8th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal
Freeview aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given
the option to be connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying
was vacant at the time so the option was not taken up. I enquired
from the installers for an estimate to be connected and to also have
the service in two other rooms plus a connection for my computers TV
card. I was told that the charge will be about 185 +VAT for the main
connection and about 258 + VAT for the additional connections. Is
this about normal for the work needed ? I suggested to them that the
charge for the additional leads was more than I expected and was told
that it is "rather a large flat" There are a lot of bigger ones in
the building :-)

Cue Bill Wright but the second figure is ludicrous!

Peter Crosland

Old November 8th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 19:13:25 -0000, "Derek F"
wrote:

I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal Freeview
aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given the option to be
connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying was vacant at the time so
the option was not taken up. I enquired from the installers for an estimate
to be connected and to also have the service in two other rooms plus a
connection for my computers TV card.

How tall is the block, how high are you, are you on the same side of
the building that the local TV aerials point (or the wrong side).

There may be options.

Geoff Lane

Old November 8th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F

wrote:

I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal Freeview
aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given the option to
be
connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying was vacant at the time
so
the option was not taken up. I enquired from the installers for an
estimate
to be connected and to also have the service in two other rooms plus a
connection for my computers TV card.

How tall is the block, how high are you, are you on the same side of
the building that the local TV aerials point (or the wrong side).

There may be options.

Geoff Lane

Not sure of the actual height but we will be on the fourth of the six
floors. They have two freeview aerials to cover the 54 flats. I presume one
on each end of the building. I initially assumed that the cable had been put
into all of the flats as when I asked the caretaker he said that there
should be a lead coming into one of our hall cupboards but when I looked I
did not find it. Presumably they would charge just as much to connect me to
the analogue aerial. Sky dishes are not allowed on the building and the area
(Eastbourne)does not have cable.
Derek.

Old November 9th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

wrote:

I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal Freeview
aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given the option to
be
connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying was vacant at the time
so
the option was not taken up. I enquired from the installers for an
estimate
to be connected and to also have the service in two other rooms plus a
connection for my computers TV card.

You are a captive market, I'm afraid. I can only siggest that you have a
connection in either the living room or a central point in the flat, then
fit a small amplifier there and run cables to each location.

Old December 16th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I am about to move into a flat in a building that had a communal
Freeview aerial installed last year. Residents were evidently given
the option to be connected to it for a fee. The flat we were buying
was vacant at the time so the option was not taken up. I enquired
from the installers for an estimate to be connected and to also have
the service in two other rooms plus a connection for my computers TV
card. I was told that the charge will be about 185 +VAT for the main
connection and about 258 + VAT for the additional connections. Is
this about normal for the work needed ? I suggested to them that the
charge for the additional leads was more than I expected and was told
that it is "rather a large flat" There are a lot of bigger ones in
the building :-)

Cue Bill Wright but the second figure is ludicrous!

Peter Crosland

I spoke to the buildings janitor about it and he gave me the name of another
local aerial company. Told them what we want, No problem. They are coming on
the afternoon that we move in and his total price will be less than 200.
Derek.

Old December 16th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

Hi

The cost you have been given are a lot and I would if I was you ask other
companies for prices as
I have just in the last few days bought a class 1 aerial for 42 with post
on eBay.
This is one of only a few that have got this class by CAL in the UK

I fixed up and it's working great with my Top UP Anytime box and tests well
with my other digital boxes.

So it may be an idea to work out if you can fix your own aerial as all there
is to fix it well to the roof and point it in the same place
as all the others in your area are, but work out that there is no item that
blocks you and the height is OK.

Also make sure that you have the right type aerial ( wide band a b ) etc.

Old December 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate3

.uk...

"Derek F" wrote in message

[...]

'Cuse please - WITNOF is a 'class 1' aerial?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 17th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F

If you read it again, there is a communal aerial in the building. We just
need it to be cabled into our flat.
Derek.