senility strikes

Old November 6th 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

Default senility strikes

OK you lot, not if I tell you this you've got promise not to laugh, OK? I
has the common problem today that the customer's DTT box was insisting on
tuning in Belmont and Bilsdale when I wanted it to tune-in Emley Moor and
nothing but Emey Moor. So I went and got a Gp B bandpass filter and a 12dB
attenuator, fitted these on the RF input to the TV set and told the box to
do a factory default and then a rescan. Unsuprisingly the box found all the
unwanted signals yet again. In some bewilderment I unplugged the aerial feed
from the wall. The box reported 'no signal'. I plugged the aerial back in. I
scratched my head. I was half way back to the van for the analyser when the
penny dropped. Shall I throw the towel in guys? What do you think?

Old November 6th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Usenet

Bill Wright wrote:
OK you lot, not if I tell you this you've got promise not to laugh, OK? I
has the common problem today that the customer's DTT box was insisting on
tuning in Belmont and Bilsdale when I wanted it to tune-in Emley Moor and
nothing but Emey Moor. So I went and got a Gp B bandpass filter and a 12dB
attenuator, fitted these on the RF input to the TV set and told the box to
do a factory default and then a rescan. Unsuprisingly the box found all the
unwanted signals yet again. In some bewilderment I unplugged the aerial feed
from the wall. The box reported 'no signal'. I plugged the aerial back in. I
scratched my head. I was half way back to the van for the analyser when the
penny dropped. Shall I throw the towel in guys? What do you think?

Bill

A DTT 'BOX' but you plugged the filter and attenuator into the TV set.
Sound like typical Monday morning Blues to me! lol

Regards
Glenn...
Old November 6th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
-

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
OK you lot, not if I tell you this you've got promise not to laugh, OK? I
has the common problem today that the customer's DTT box was insisting on
tuning in Belmont and Bilsdale when I wanted it to tune-in Emley Moor and
nothing but Emey Moor. So I went and got a Gp B bandpass filter and a 12dB
attenuator, fitted these on the RF input to the TV set and told the box to
do a factory default and then a rescan. Unsuprisingly the box found all
the unwanted signals yet again. In some bewilderment I unplugged the
aerial feed from the wall. The box reported 'no signal'. I plugged the
aerial back in. I scratched my head. I was half way back to the van for
the analyser when the penny dropped. Shall I throw the towel in guys? What
do you think?

Bill

Wouldn't be so bad if the DTT tuner was inside the TV eh!

Happens to the best of us. I'm only a mere "whipper snapper" but I find
myself doing crazy things all the time.

The other day I was making a brew, had the milk out of the fridge, and the
kettle lifted off its base thing.

I poured desired quantities and then put the kettle in the fridge and only
twigged when I put the milk on the kettle base and it wobbled and fell off.

Old November 6th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

OK you lot, not if I tell you this you've got promise not to laugh,
OK? I has the common problem today that the customer's DTT box was
insisting on tuning in Belmont and Bilsdale when I wanted it to
tune-in Emley Moor and nothing but Emey Moor. So I went and got a Gp
B bandpass filter and a 12dB attenuator, fitted these on the RF input
to the TV set and told the box to do a factory default and then a
rescan. Unsuprisingly the box found all the unwanted signals yet
again. In some bewilderment I unplugged the aerial feed from the
wall. The box reported 'no signal'. I plugged the aerial back in. I
scratched my head. I was half way back to the van for the analyser
when the penny dropped. Shall I throw the towel in guys? What do you
think?

It is known as a "Senior moment" in polite company!

Peter Crosland

Old November 6th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
I McD

My usual one is getting the wires crossed when connecting a diplexer
then wondering why the levels are 20db down. Must do it about once a
week!

Old November 7th 06, 06:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Usenet

I McD wrote:
My usual one is getting the wires crossed when connecting a diplexer
then wondering why the levels are 20db down. Must do it about once a
week!

Where are you working when your using diplexers so much to get the
cables crossed about once a week. Over here in the good old North of
Ireland, diplexers are on just about every aerial rig.

Regards
Glenn...
Old November 7th 06, 07:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

In message , Bill Wright
writes
OK you lot, not if I tell you this you've got promise not to laugh, OK? I
has the common problem today that the customer's DTT box was insisting on
tuning in Belmont and Bilsdale when I wanted it to tune-in Emley Moor and
nothing but Emey Moor. So I went and got a Gp B bandpass filter and a 12dB
attenuator, fitted these on the RF input to the TV set and told the box to
do a factory default and then a rescan. Unsuprisingly the box found all the
unwanted signals yet again. In some bewilderment I unplugged the aerial feed
from the wall. The box reported 'no signal'. I plugged the aerial back in. I
scratched my head. I was half way back to the van for the analyser when the
penny dropped. Shall I throw the towel in guys? What do you think?

Bill

You're not alone Bill. Yesterday the brake fluid alarm light on my car
lit up. I checked the fluid level, but it was at the maximum marker on
the dip stick. So, somewhat confused and alarmed, I drove the car
carefully to the nearest garage. An hour later the mechanic emerged,
saying he had topped up the brake fluid, and everything was all right
now. This I found hard to believe, so I took him to the car, opened the
bonnet, and showed him that the brake fluid was already at the maximum
on the dipstick. Said he: "Err, I think you'll find that is the fluid
for the power assisted steering, sir. The brake fluid is over there ..."

I've only had the car for 10 years. Worra dipstick!

--
Ian
Old November 7th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
I McD

Usenet wrote:

Where are you working when your using diplexers so much to get the
cables crossed about once a week. Over here in the good old North of
Ireland, diplexers are on just about every aerial rig.

Regards
Glenn...

Other end of the island to you. Co. Cork. Nearly all installs have 2
aerials, many have 3!
(RTE from local relay on UHF (C/D) or Mulliganish on B III VHF, South
Coast local deflector for UK channels (GRP B) and TV from Muuliganish
on UHF (A). Keeps me busy.....

Old November 8th 06, 06:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Usenet

I McD wrote:
Usenet wrote:

Where are you working when your using diplexers so much to get the
cables crossed about once a week. Over here in the good old North of
Ireland, diplexers are on just about every aerial rig.

Regards
Glenn...

Other end of the island to you. Co. Cork. Nearly all installs have 2
aerials, many have 3!
(RTE from local relay on UHF (C/D) or Mulliganish on B III VHF, South
Coast local deflector for UK channels (GRP B) and TV from Muuliganish
on UHF (A). Keeps me busy.....

Bet it does. Good old 'Band Three'. The boys across the river in England
don't know how easy they get it. We still have to install Band Three
up here too, around Armagh, Omagh, Castlederg directions.

Last work I did in Cork was for the new Debenhams store in the Mahon
Retail Park I think it was. Ended up in a wee pub across from dominoes
pizza, sitting beside the open fire, watching the football and getting
rather drunk!

I enjoy my job!

Regards
Glenn...