hints on reasonable priced PVRs?

Old October 25th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Heslop

Default hints on reasonable priced PVRs?

My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old October 25th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Schofield

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Buy a Pace twin from eBay, but make sure it's been upgraded to the latest
firmware. It's not the latest and greatest, but with the newest code it's
fairly stable and it'll give you pointers about how much you use it and what
features are important to you. If I was buying new I'd wait until the
Freeview Playback devices are available - It may well be that several of the
current PVRs will be upgraded, but it's too soon to tell.

HTH

--
Paul Schofield

Old October 25th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

PVR's with their own digital tuners should have the option of dumping the
DVB stream directly to disk. Playing recordings will be indistinguishable
from the original. The SKY+ is an example of this.
Many PVR's will be nothing more than upgraded Hard Disk recorders, which are
in turn just upgraded dvd recorders. As a result they re-compress using the
standard SP, LP, EP settings evolved for the original DVD recorders.

Old October 25th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

John Russell wrote:
"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers
on what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

PVR's with their own digital tuners should have the option of dumping
the DVB stream directly to disk. Playing recordings will be
indistinguishable from the original. The SKY+ is an example of this.
Many PVR's will be nothing more than upgraded Hard Disk recorders,
which are in turn just upgraded dvd recorders. As a result they
re-compress using the standard SP, LP, EP settings evolved for the
original DVD recorders.

I'm having trouble seeing the point of your advice. Bitstream recorders are
easier and cheaper to make than ones that do their own MPEG2 encoding, as
well as giving superior picture quality. As far as I am aware *all* HDD
Freeview recorders are of this type, and can often record from two tuners
simultaneously. Only Freeview machines with built in DVD recorders (with or
without a HDD) do their own encoding, and I have yet to see an example that
can record from more than one tuner.

Old October 25th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Heracles Pollux

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

My Topfield TF5800 is almost priceless. What ever it costs circa 200 to
300, it's worthwhile.

Old October 25th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Heracles Pollux wrote:
"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

My Topfield TF5800 is almost priceless. What ever it costs circa 200 to
300, it's worthwhile.

On the other hand the Digihome PVR80 seems to have reasonable
reputation on the 'net, twin tuner & 80Gb hard drive. 100 quid from
Argos. Doesn't have the 'bells and whilstles' of a Topfield, but much
cheaper and the OP may have no need of the Topfield's greater
functionality.

Old October 25th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pyriform

Heracles Pollux wrote:
My Topfield TF5800 is almost priceless. What ever it costs circa 200
to 300, it's worthwhile.

And of course you were able to pay for most of that with the money you saved
by not buying a TV licence this year alone, let alone all the other years!

Old October 25th 06, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
BORG

On 25 Oct 2006 05:43:17 -0700, wrote:

Heracles Pollux wrote:
"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

My Topfield TF5800 is almost priceless. What ever it costs circa 200 to
300, it's worthwhile.

On the other hand the Digihome PVR80 seems to have reasonable
reputation on the 'net, twin tuner & 80Gb hard drive. 100 quid from
Argos. Doesn't have the 'bells and whilstles' of a Topfield, but much
cheaper and the OP may have no need of the Topfield's greater
functionality.

what he says
--

www.ratrodz.co.uk

XJ900 Trike ** GS850 Trike
XV1000 TR1 Chop

[Rot 13 it]

Some people are like slinkys....
no real use but it makes you smile when they fall down stairs!
Old October 25th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

John Russell wrote:
"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

PVR's with their own digital tuners should have the option of dumping the
DVB stream directly to disk.

This is what a digital PVR does - records the digital signal straight
to a hard drive and therefore makes a perfect copy.

Playing recordings will be indistinguishable
from the original. The SKY+ is an example of this.

They are indeed indistinguishable - so much so that it is easy to
become confused and not know whether you are watching live TV or a
recording.

Many PVR's will be nothing more than upgraded Hard Disk recorders, which are
in turn just upgraded dvd recorders. As a result they re-compress using the
standard SP, LP, EP settings evolved for the original DVD recorders.

With one execption - a Sony I think - avoid anything with a DVD
recorder in it, even if it also has a hard disk - these will be
essentially analog machines and will involve A-D and D-A codecs
somewhere.

A Pace or Humax 8000t from eBay would make a good purchase. Avoid
Sagems.

Old October 28th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve

Paul Heslop wrote:
My son fancies one and we said we would think about it, but we're
really not very well off. It would be great if we had some pointers on
what seem to be the most reasonable and hints on where to buy etc.

thanks for any help

After a good look round I got a twin tuner Access Devices machine. Mine
is branded Matsui from Currys but what is essentially the same machine
is sold with different names. There are 2 models 80Gb for 119 and 160Gb
for 149.

The Twin Tuner means you can watch 1 program while recording another.
You can also record 2 programs at once and apparently watch a
pre-recorded program at the same time.

This has been a boon for us as we can now record anything we might want
to watch and then watch it at our convenience. The recorded program list
is sorted by program name and date so it's easy to get to the right
episode of something and the EPG comments are recorded too.