Rigger's diary - lightning

Old July 18th 03, 09:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rich

Default Rigger's diary - lightning

"Wrightsaerials" wrote in message
Here's what happenned yesterday. Lightning hit the end of the roof of a

block
of flats. The milk lady was stood just below and she was knocked against a

wall
by the pressure wave, breaking several bottles. The building has a

conventional
roof with a loft space, Later we found the loft was brightly lit thanks to

the
hole in the roof. The end of the roof apex near the gable had disappeared,

and
about a dozen tiles were smashed or missing. The woodwork in that area was
charred. In the flat immediately below, all the nails in the ceiling were
protruding about 10mm, suggesting that the plaster board had had been

pushed
down. The TV system in that block serves 14 flats. Amongst these there

were
four dead TV sets and one dead VCR. One flat at the opposite end to the

strike
had no mains power at the incoming supply.
Bill

Shocking! ;o)

---

Old July 19th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

"Wrightsaerials" wrote in message
Here's what happenned yesterday. Lightning hit the end of the roof of

block
of flats. The milk lady was stood just below and she was knocked

against a
wall
by the pressure wave, breaking several bottles.

I almost hate to spoil this thread with a sensible question...

Should aerial downleads be earthed? ie connecting the coax screen to
ground or mains earth, in an effort to reduce the risk of lightning
strike? Or would this, in fact, make it more likely for the aerial to
suffer a strike, being such a low resistance circuit to ground? And would
it affect reception?

I've often pondered this.

Back to the silly stuff :

When lightning strikes nearby, I get a mettalic taste in my mouth.

---

Old July 19th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Orange

"Ian" wrote in message
"Wrightsaerials" wrote in message
Here's what happenned yesterday. Lightning hit the end of the roof of

block
of flats. The milk lady was stood just below and she was knocked

against a
wall
by the pressure wave, breaking several bottles.

I almost hate to spoil this thread with a sensible question...

Should aerial downleads be earthed? ie connecting the coax screen to
ground or mains earth, in an effort to reduce the risk of lightning
strike?

Perhaps Bill can enlighten us, I'm almost certain that in some countries the
earthing of aerials and satellite dishes is a legal requirement therefore it
would be interesting to know how this is achieved.. i.e. type of conductor
etc.. I would be surprised if it doesn't add to a pretty penny or two to the
price of an installation.

Old July 20th 03, 02:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

Should aerial downleads be earthed? ie connecting the coax screen to
ground or mains earth, in an effort to reduce the risk of lightning
strike?

In a direct strike the aerial and cable are vapourised. Even a strike nearby
can melt the cable. As far as I can see the only thing that would make any
difference would be to install a proper lightning conductor (you know, copper
strip 1.5 inch x three sixteenths). And what difference would it make? The
telly would still be blown up. I suppose there would be less chance of a fire
starting inside the building. Big buildings generally have all the aerials and
other metal appendages bonded to to the lightning conductor system, but I
wonder if this is wise. Maybe it would be better to keep aerials and their
downleads isolated from the lightning conductor.
I just dunno!
Old July 20th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Orange

[...]

It would be interesting for someone from somewhere [USA, Germany?] where
earthing is a requirement, to let us know how it works in their particular
country.