Widescreen

Old July 18th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
cat

Default Widescreen

I have just purchased a Panasonic widescreen TV. When I use the digital box
through the TV with the 16:9 setting it fills the screen. However, in
analogue mode there are black bars top and bottom. Why is this. Shouldn't
16:9 fill the screen on both settings.

I have googled this but found nothing similar and appreciate it could be a
faq but would like some advice from the experts

Old July 18th 03, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"cat" wrote in message
I have just purchased a Panasonic widescreen TV. When I use the digital

box
through the TV with the 16:9 setting it fills the screen. However, in
analogue mode there are black bars top and bottom. Why is this. Shouldn't
16:9 fill the screen on both settings.

I have googled this but found nothing similar and appreciate it could be a
faq but would like some advice from the experts

I find the various broadcasters handle the various ratios differently.
I leave my Panasonic in auto ratio mode, and live with that. It at least
gives the pictures correct geometry.

If you must have pictures like those at Currys then use the aspect ratio
button to fill the screen.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 18th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

"cat" wrote in message
I have just purchased a Panasonic widescreen TV. When I use the digital

box
through the TV with the 16:9 setting it fills the screen. However, in
analogue mode there are black bars top and bottom. Why is this. Shouldn't
16:9 fill the screen on both settings.

Firstly, make sure you're in Auto mode. Keep pressing the remote's Aspect
button until "Panasonic Auto" is displayed on screen. At the same time, at
the bottom of the screen, there are coloured labels - red for 4x3, green for
Just. If you want your tv to display 4x3 material as 4x3, press the red
button on the remote, Similarly, if you want 4x3 material to fill the
screen, press the green button (this will stretch the image).

Secondly, Auto will only work on analogue sources when the analogue source
is a 16x9 deep-letterbox programme. This is usually limited to films. Most
analogue widescreen programmes use the compromise 14x9 letterbox format.
Panasonics (at least mine) treats this as a 4x3. In this case, the setting
you chose above will determine how it's displayed. You can override this
with the Aspect button.

When the analogue source is a 16x9 deep-letterbox, and you're in Auto, the
Panasonic should detect the presence of black above and below the picture.
This can take some time if the picture is quite dark.

Hope that helps.

Old July 18th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

I'll probably stick with the 16:9 setting as it seems to include all the
picture? I have noticed watching the open golf on BBC2 today that it has
filled the whole screen even in 16:9 mode does this mean it is being
broadcast in widescreen.

No. BBC Sport is only 4x3 on analogue. It sounds like your tv is in "Just"
mode.

Old July 19th 03, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"cat" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice. I have tried the TV in Panasonic auto mode but
find that some logos and text are pushed out of the picture both top and
bottom.

Sorry to say this Cat but do you think you might have a faulty set?
You have been good advice by other posters so I do not understand why you
have not got things sorted out.
Why not visit a good Panasonic, or other dealer and get him to show you the
various mode opperations. Might just be something little you have not
understood.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 19th 03, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Restorer

Many 16:9 programs are broadcast in 14:9 letterbox on analog. You should
have noticed this before on a normal 4:3 set.

Yes but sports programs are normal 4:3 centre cut. This is why he
noticed no black lines above on the golf.
Old July 19th 03, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Restorer" wrote in message

Many 16:9 programs are broadcast in 14:9 letterbox on analog. You should
have noticed this before on a normal 4:3 set.

Yes but sports programs are normal 4:3 centre cut. This is why he
noticed no black lines above on the golf.

"Golf"?
The only word starting "go" in the posting I read was "googled".

Old July 19th 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DB

"John Russell" wrote in message
"Golf"?
The only word starting "go" in the posting I read was "googled".

No, golf was mentioned as well. You must have missed a post.