TV License Evasion

Old July 2nd 03, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

Default TV License Evasion

"Bill Bennett" wrote in message
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch telly in
his dormroom.

Probably the best way is to get a TV card and insert it in a PC.

Insert a high pass filter in the aerial socket so the IF (what the detectors
looks for) doesn't leak out. Make sure the PC has metal case. Switch off
card when not in use.

This has a number of advantages: -

Low output of IF so harder to detect.
Faraday cage around tuner.
Doesn't look like a TV.
Instantly changes to non TV use.
TV card easily removed in the event of a serious visit.
PC can also be used as time shift VCR.
PC can also be used for academic work.
One less box in what are normally tiny rooms.

What are the chances TV-L will come and kick his ass if he doesn't pay?

What if he has a real TV (which he covers up if the detectors come round),
and fobs them off with a little battery powered handheld TV (which would

be
covered under his parents license?)

I'm Bill... and I sell stuff at www.daio.co.uk

I wonder what the status of a battery or USB powered TV dongle would be?
Does anyone know if you have to sign a licence declaration if you buy one?

Old July 2nd 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message

says...
"Bill Bennett" wrote in message
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch

telly in
his dormroom.

Probably the best way is to get a TV card and insert it in a PC.

But the shop you buy the TV card from has a duty to report your details to

the
TV licence people.
--

Yes but the answer your not using the Tv card in your PC is plausable.

What are you buying it for - table decoration?

I got a 3fdx VoodooTVFM card for review in December 2000 and my details were
passed on, I found out when the TV licence demand arrived a month or so later.
I filled in my details to say I already had one and heard no more about it.

What's he using a stand alone TV for if not for watching TV? On the other
hand he could unplug the aerial and watch the pretty white dot's in a drug
induced state.

That paragraph has nothing to do with a TV card.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old July 2nd 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Bennett

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
I wonder what the status of a battery or USB powered TV dongle would be?
Does anyone know if you have to sign a licence declaration if you buy one?

I, i mean my friend, never signed one of those when I, i mean he, went into
Argos last week and bought a TV and freeview box...
I'm Bill... and I sell stuff at www.daio.co.uk

Old July 2nd 03, 10:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
says...

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message

says...
"Bill Bennett" wrote in message
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch
telly in
his dormroom.

Probably the best way is to get a TV card and insert it in a PC.

But the shop you buy the TV card from has a duty to report your

details to
the
TV licence people.
--

Yes but the answer your not using the Tv card in your PC is plausable.

What are you buying it for - table decoration?

A PC does lot's of things, but you don't use all it's functions all the
time. So it's plausable to have PC with a Tv card and say your not using it.
Just like if youv'e got a NIC it dosn't mean youre using a network.

We're talking about buying a TV card in a shop for use in a PC, which rather
indicates that you're going to use it for its intended purpose.

However, the same still applies if you buy a PC which happens to have a TV
card in it. I bought one recently (the 799 Medion Titanium MD8008 from Aldi)
and while I haven't heard from the TV Licence people, I have no problem with
Aldi passing my details on.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

We're talking about buying a TV card in a shop for use in a PC, which
rather
indicates that you're going to use it for its intended purpose.

It would be perfactly legitamate to purchase such a card for video capture
rather than TV watching as there usually cheaper than dedicated video
capture products. You could simply say that you use the composite input for
capture from a friends video camera. Although if you have an aerial plugged
in then it kind of defeats that argument.

Jaime

Old July 2nd 03, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Jaime" wrote in message
We're talking about buying a TV card in a shop for use in a PC, which

rather
indicates that you're going to use it for its intended purpose.

It would be perfactly legitamate to purchase such a card for video capture
rather than TV watching as there usually cheaper than dedicated video
capture products. You could simply say that you use the composite input

for
capture from a friends video camera. Although if you have an aerial

plugged
in then it kind of defeats that argument.

Jaime

If they arrived, would you rather through a whole TV out the window, or a
cheap 5 set top aerial? If you've got a Tv card you'd only have to do the
later. As I keep telling Dom, it's "plausible" to have a Pc with TV card and
say your you not using it.

Old July 2nd 03, 11:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

[...]

Very true however, why not simply just have the tv and risk getting caught.
If you are simply go in front of a magistrate and plead guilty, it seems
even the most there lieklyy to fine you is 100. or you (your friend) could
just buy the license like I did and most of my student friends do.

Jaime

Old July 2nd 03, 11:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bigbrian

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:01:32 +0100, "John Russell"
wrote:

"Jaime" wrote in message
. ..
We're talking about buying a TV card in a shop for use in a PC, which

rather
indicates that you're going to use it for its intended purpose.

It would be perfactly legitamate to purchase such a card for video capture
rather than TV watching as there usually cheaper than dedicated video
capture products. You could simply say that you use the composite input

for
capture from a friends video camera. Although if you have an aerial

plugged
in then it kind of defeats that argument.

Jaime

If they arrived, would you rather through a whole TV out the window, or a
cheap 5 set top aerial? If you've got a Tv card you'd only have to do the
later. As I keep telling Dom, it's "plausible" to have a Pc with TV card and
say your you not using it.

Just as its plausible to have a TV and say you're not using it (except
for watching pre-recorded tapes). Without an aerial connected, its
difficult to establish that you do, indeed, receive TV programmes
using it. Same with the TV card.....if you don't have it tuned to any
channels.......