Luxor LCD TVs

Old September 23rd 06, 09:32 AM
Roland Rodgers Roland Rodgers is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D
I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website I've found a brand called Luxor, which
I've never heard of.

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious brand?

Paul,

they are also available at Hughes Direct, so it just looks as if Empire got them first.

There are 4 LCDs in the range so I suspect that it's a fairly big Manufacturer behind these, likely Chinese. They have bought the Luxor name for use in Europe as it was pretty big at one time.
Nokia sold their TV business to AKAI many years agom so perhaps it is AKAI that has sold the name on to a manufacturer, who up until now hasn't sold under their own name in Europe before.

At the price looks to be worth a punt esp with a 5 year guarantee. Empire are a good company and normally don't sell at the junky end of the market either.
Likewise I'm interested in a kitchen TV for my mother. The main concern I would have is the sound is a weedy 2x2.5W. Then again none of the small screens have decent sound.

There, I've convinced myself

A postnote on some of the wafflings on FREEVIEW above. Having a FREEVIEW tuner doesn't preclude the reception of any other provders service. Conversely speeding up the switchover would bring us MANY more FREEVIEW services and extend DTT to areas where it is not yet available. Those who wish to subscribe to ever more expensive Pay-TV will always have that choice ...
(Also TOPUP's new business model requires a PVR!!!)

So Empire Direct next. I'll post back my findings

Roland