Luxor LCD TVs

Old September 9th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gendy

Default Luxor LCD TVs

Please remember Britain has barely any manufactruing sector left...we depend
on high profit margins in the Retail Sheds that masquerade as an economy in
Britain....so the phasing in of ultra -high price "HD" plamas and LCDs is
vital for shareholder returns.That is also why a DTT tuner is "extra"!

Old September 9th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article .com,
" writes
I've seen a couple of these. They only have 1 scart socket and the
picture is 'normal' for an LCD. The customers seem happy enough with
the picture. I havent seen them working on HD so I cant comment. No
digital tuner but what do you expect at that price.

Paul D wrote:

I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website I've found a brand called Luxor, which
I've never heard of.

There's nothing on the net about them and they are only sold through Empire.
However, their 23 inch freeview TV is around 100 pounds cheaper than the
equivalent Toshiba, which I was planning to buy! The Luxor costs only 375
pounds. They also do an HD ready 32 inch freeview LCD for only 544 pounds!

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious brand? Obviously it would be
pointless to save 100 pounds but to have an inferior picture or for the unit
to break down in a year. As a rule I tend to shy aware from these unknown or
supermarket brands for that reason.

23 inch:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...dex~modelcode~
LUX-2311.htm

32 inch:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...dex~modelcode~
LUX-3211.htm

What part of "Integrated 'Freeview' Digital Tuner" do you take to mean
"no digital tuner"?

Still, you are a top-poster, so what can one expect.
--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 9th 06, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Prometheus

In article , David
writes

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
.
Eight years after the launch of DTT, I expect a digital tuner at every
price.

I would not want a TV with Freeview built in.

There is not much market for TVs without a tuner; with analogue switch
off in a few years what else will they fit?

Takes away the choice of Sky, Cable, Freeview and dare I say it, TopUp.

Does it? How do you come to that novel conclusion? Does having an
analogue tuner prevent you connecting Sky, cable, Freeview, or Freeview
and TUTV?
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 9th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Marky P

Paul D wrote:

[...]

Does that mean he's a good poster? ;-)

Marky P (Absinthe not wearing off yet)

Old September 10th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Matt Overton

The thing I noted about this company is that they now sell at the same
price in their shops as on the web site.
In the past thier web site was a lot cheaper than thier shop. This new
policy as meant a RISE in price on the web to thier shop price.

Not entirely true, I used to work for them in Bradford and left around the
time of the change over. (Nothing to do with the change incidentally, I just
never really wanted to work in retail, and found a new job at that time
doing what I always wanted to do). Shop prices were always normal retail
prices with the usual shop discounts and sales to ensure prices remained
competitive with the local competition, whilst web were a lot cheaper. Many
moons ago in the early days of the internet, Empire were the first to launch
Internet electrical shopping, and their prices always were really cheap.
When electrical shopping on the internet got big there were hundreds of dot
com shops sprouting up, with rediculious prices. Empire (sensibily) realised
that if prices continued the way they were they'd go bust, and so prices did
rise slightly to ensure the business could survive and went for quality and
service over rock bottom prices. Unlike groups such as Miller Bros. etc who
didn't make any money and have now gone under. When the shops moved to web
prices last year, they did drop the instore prices directly to the web
prices, and changed the commission drastically for their sales people. I
suspect prices have risen slightly on their web, but are still nowhere near
normal retail prices, judging by the margins I know some of my friends have
to work with. IIRC Empire now include the charge for delivery in the price
for the goods, so that would probably account for the rise in a lot of
prices on price runner etc too.
I'll give them their credit - they maintain a good business against the
competition, many of whom are operating without support or sales teams.
Don't forget Empire have their own call centre support staff, drop in
service centre and trained technicians. And having seen all their back of
house operations I'd still shop with them!

Old September 10th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"Matt Overton" wrote in message

I'd still shop with them!

I have shoped with them many, many times and still try to.
It is good to shop with them for me on the web site and collect from thier
wharehouse a mile away from me.

At present I'm considering a purchase of a camcorder and finding that ED are
roughly a 100 than other internet suppliers, and maybe not that amount over
the retail sheds but still higher.

A friend who works there confirmed to me along the lines you state about
them over doing it with low prices some time ago when I asked him about the
web prices haveing gone the same as the store.

I would also say along with yourself most of the better staff are no longer
to be seen.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Old September 10th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D

Matt Overton wrote:
The thing I noted about this company is that they now sell at the
same price in their shops as on the web site.
In the past thier web site was a lot cheaper than thier shop. This
new policy as meant a RISE in price on the web to thier shop price.

snip

I'll give them their credit - they maintain a good business against
the competition, many of whom are operating without support or sales
teams. Don't forget Empire have their own call centre support staff,
drop in service centre and trained technicians. And having seen all
their back of house operations I'd still shop with them!

always wary of sites which appear to be too cheap. When I phone Empire
Direct I always get a good response from the call centre staff. They know
what they're talking about and never give me the hard sell - very
refreshing.

Old September 10th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Paul D wrote:
I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website I've found a brand called Luxor, which
I've never heard of.

There's nothing on the net about them and they are only sold through Empire.
However, their 23 inch freeview TV is around 100 pounds cheaper than the
equivalent Toshiba, which I was planning to buy! The Luxor costs only 375
pounds. They also do an HD ready 32 inch freeview LCD for only 544 pounds!

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious brand? Obviously it would be
pointless to save 100 pounds but to have an inferior picture or for the unit
to break down in a year. As a rule I tend to shy aware from these unknown or
supermarket brands for that reason.

The Luxor has an inferior contrast ratio to the equivalent Tosh and
Samsung models.

Old September 11th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy

"Paul D" wrote in message
. uk...
I've been looking around for a 23 inch Freeview LCD for my mother. On
browsing the Empire Direct website I've found a brand called Luxor, which
I've never heard of.

There's nothing on the net about them and they are only sold through
Empire. However, their 23 inch freeview TV is around 100 pounds cheaper
than the equivalent Toshiba, which I was planning to buy! The Luxor costs
only 375 pounds. They also do an HD ready 32 inch freeview LCD for only
544 pounds!

Viking Direct are doing a Medion 32" for 500, with all the inputs but no
freeview.

http://tinyurl.com/ozsv2