BBC

Old September 17th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson

Default BBC

In message , Bill Wright
writes

"mike" wrote in message
.1.4...
Ian Jackson wrote in
:
Of course, no too much snipping generally goes on - this doesn't help!

I always snip unneccesary words because it saves wear on the monitor.

Bill

But the wear and tear on the mouse and keyboard has to been seen to be
believed.
Ian.

Old September 17th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Cartmell

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
I've never understood the insistence on bottom posting. I only do it so
that people will like me.

See references in sig.
You should already know the answer as it should have been part of your
induction to use of the internet.

--
John Cartmell "good manners are the best guide to good rules"
The news.newusers.questions FAQ http://www.plig.net/nnq/nquote.html

Old September 17th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob

Ian Jackson wrote:
When I keep an ongoing file of paper documents, I don't remove all the
existing documents each time I want to add the latest document.
This is simply added to the top.

Call me old-fashioned, but I always add the latest document
to the bottom of the pile, that way if I'm reviewing at a later date,
I can start at the beginning, and end on the final document;
just like reading a book.

With your method, you must start at the bottom-most document
and gradually work your way back up the pile until you reach
the final document.

Frankly I consider that to be ergonomically cack-handed;
am I showing my age or something ? or are youngsters
so sharp they can do everything standing on their heads ?

Old September 17th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
You should already know the answer as it should have been part of your
induction to use of the internet.

My introduction to the internet was when I came home and Hil said "The
bloke's been and messed with the computer and it works, and he says
tinternet works as well now". Several days later I had a mess about and
eventually got a picture. It was a rude picture though so Hil made me turn
it off. Eventually we had to have tinternet for some purpose, so we cranked
it up together (safety in numbers). The man had also made the computer have
sound, so we fell off our chairs when it started playing a tune!

A few weeks later I discovered newsgroups, and I haven't done a stroke of
work since!

Old September 18th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MJ Ray

Ian Jackson
When I keep an ongoing file of paper documents, I don't remove all the
existing documents each time I want to add the latest document. This is
simply added to the top. You know it makes sense! One day they will find
they can also do it when using computers.

Bet you don't include complete copies of all previous documents on the end
of each new document, which is what most top-posters do.

Also, I think you'll find the many letters start with a context-setter like
"Following your letter of 1 April last concerning your fish ..." which is
missing from most top-posts. Top-posts are like getting letters back which
just launch into a stream of answers, with no link of what answers what.

--
MJR/slef

Old September 18th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

No, it does not.
--
Ian
Old September 18th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

This comes first.

--
Ian
Old September 18th 06, 01:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham W

No it doesn't. 8)

Ian wrote:
This comes first.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Old September 18th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phil Cook

Bill Wright wrote:

A few weeks later I discovered newsgroups, and I haven't done a stroke of
work since!

ROTFLMAO :-)
Old September 19th 06, 08:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Brooks

Ian Jackson said the following on 17/09/06 13:47:
In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Interestingly some friends who are internet and e-mail 'newbies', always
bottom post in their e-mail replies, which confuses all their other
friends.

I just start typing away, and it lands where it likes.

Bill

I've never understood the insistence on bottom posting. I only do it so
that people will like me.

It's because they were probably brought up on books! ;-)

When I keep an ongoing file of paper documents, I don't remove all the
existing documents each time I want to add the latest document. This is
simply added to the top. You know it makes sense! One day they will find
they can also do it when using computers.

Ian.

Most of the earlier technologies such as story telling, reading, film
watching and listening to music seem to go by time line so it makes
sense to follow that. A variation on the reading technology is when a
person reads "who dunnit" on the back page then reads the book.

1. Top posting makes little sense. (start of thread)
2. I didn't know that! (reply)
3. Well you should. (reply to the reply above)

Try any other version;

3. Well you should. (reply to the reply below)
2. I didn't know that! (reply)
1. Top posting makes little sense. (start of thread)

Richard.

--
Cust. - "Fine salmon in the rivers."
Will Hay - "Grouse on the moors."