DTV Picture Quality [OT for radio]

Old July 18th 03, 05:33 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Default DTV Picture Quality [OT for radio]

http://tinyurl.com/hcs3

"Perfect pictures?
One patient had the utter nerve to ask 'Do you know when they are going to
improve the picture quality of the Digital broadcasts?', saying that he
notices on different sets, both on Sky and Freeview, pixellation, drop out
and poor lip sync, and claims that when running in RGB, even in the
showrooms, faces look a bit "plasticy". Pixellation and drop out are sure
signs of a defective aerial system, lip sync problems are most unusual, and
usually the broadcaster's fault - I have noticed them on 'Bid-up TV'
recently. I can assure you that skin tones can be conveyed realistically
over the digital TV system, and suggest that problems with 'plastic' images
could be caused by the wrong signal levels being present at the SCART
connector. On Sky digiboxes it is possible to adjust the level of the
signals to get the best picture."

Is he correct, or are the TV industry as bad as the radio industry when it
comes to defending their (crap) digital signal quality?

--
DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, Digital Satellite and Cable --
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

BBC DAB is a national disgrace
Subscribe for free to the Digital Radio Listeners' Group Newsletter

Old July 18th 03, 06:20 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert

Oh, have you found a new group to spam?

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote
in message ...

Old July 18th 03, 08:02 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve

"Robert" wrote in news:[email protected]
191992.news.uni-berlin.de:

Oh, have you found a new group to spam?

If you search the archives you will see he has recently said he has never
seen MPEG artifacts on DTT. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Probably like where the archives show him objecting to the wavefinder being
called a toy and his current stance that it is a toy.

Old July 18th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robert

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote
in message ...
Robert wrote the following nonsense:
Oh, have you found a new group to spam?

You'd know about nonsense

--
DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, Digital Satellite and Cable --
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

BBC DAB is a national disgrace

Its not the only national disgrace is it DABSWTFM?

Subscribe for free to the Digital Radio Listeners' Group Newsletter

Old July 18th 03, 09:40 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Steve wrote:
"Robert" wrote in news:[email protected]
191992.news.uni-berlin.de:

Oh, have you found a new group to spam?

If you search the archives you will see he has recently said he has
never seen MPEG artifacts on DTT. It will be interesting to see how
this develops.

Did I say never? That was wrong. Infrequently would be right.

Probably like where the archives show him objecting to the wavefinder
being called a toy and his current stance that it is a toy.

You only object because you own the bloody toy yourself.

By the way Steve, you asked where all the negative articles about DAB were,
implying that they weren't coming. Here's some of my favourite recent quotes
about DAB's audio quality just to cheer you up:

From Hi-Fi News:

"I consider the broadcasts that are available today have been so
hideously corrupted by compression that they are little better than MP3
hence mid-fi, not hi-fi. This is especially the case for the dreadful
compressed noise that is called DAB and is marketed as progress!"

and from today's Feedback a letter was read out that pretty much sums up
many people's thoughts of DAB, I quote:

"Simon Nelson prefers that people tune into the BBC services using a DAB
digital radio specifically. Having listened to a DAB radio and other
alternatives that also carry all of the BBC's new services, such as Freeview
and digital satellite, it is my judgement that these alternatives are
currently better value for money, have more chance of working properly, and
offer considerably better sound quality. The BBC has certainly compromised
the sound quality of its DAB broadcasts to a mediocre level; better than
medium wave, but slightly worse than FM and has left many early purchasers
of DAB radios very disappointed."

and from the latest edition of Hi-Fi Choice:

"Most new DAB radios are L-band ready and expectations for its usage were
in retrospect rather optimistic. It had been hoped that L-band would
take stations from existing bands and thus reduce the downward pressure
on bit rates. With less stations squeezed into each band DAB quality
might be increased to the point where it would compete with top-notch
FM. However, this first tranche would suggest that the L-band will be
for access radio and small local stations with the possibility of
pay-per-view/listen data services.

An idea of the quality currently available from DAB in the UK can be
seen below:

* 227 stations using 128Kbps
* 12 stations using 160Kbps
* 1 station using 192Kbps
* The average bit rate is 130Kbps
* The average world-wide bit rate for stereo music is 182Kbps

It doesn't look like L-band will be improving this average!"

July's edition of What Hi-Fi, in the review for the Pure DRX702ES in the
"Against" bit it says:

"Some digital stations still sound pretty ropy"

and from the review itself:

"but there's a groundswell of grumbling about its sound quality, especially
when sports or news broadcasts flood the BBC's multiplex capacity and bit
rates are cut on Radios 3 and 4. In fact there's something of a 'back to
analogue' lobby growing, with some preferring to stick to FM for their
'serious' listening."

Enjoy your low audio quality DAB ****e Steve, because that's exactly what it
is.

Old July 18th 03, 10:37 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

[...]

Digital is often worse than analog. I often think my set up is wrong but
then I switch to Sky News and confirm that's it's certain channels
broadcasts that are crap at that moment, not my setup.

Old July 18th 03, 11:18 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Steve wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM"
wrote in :

Steve wrote:
"Robert" wrote in news:[email protected]
191992.news.uni-berlin.de:

Oh, have you found a new group to spam?

If you search the archives you will see he has recently said he has
never seen MPEG artifacts on DTT. It will be interesting to see how
this develops.

Did I say never? That was wrong. Infrequently would be right.

Probably like where the archives show him objecting to the
wavefinder being called a toy and his current stance that it is a
toy.

You only object because you own the bloody toy yourself.

As DAB receivers go it is the most functional and updateable (when it
works). You should like it as it could do AAC or any other
compression algorithm you choose.

By the way Steve, you asked where all the negative articles about DAB
were, implying that they weren't coming. Here's some of my favourite
recent quotes about DAB's audio quality just to cheer you up:

Did you see the competition the Metro was running for digital radios,
talking about quality sound. Looks like they have changed their
stance on DAB.

Yeah, but didn't you say that they were **** journalists Steve?

And anyway, I don't need a magazine to know that the sound is ****. The
hi-fi mags help because people tend to believe them more than some random
Joe like me, but ultimately I know that the sound is **** for myself by
simply listening to it.

Do yourself a favour Steve and get a Sony Freeview box. You know it makes
sense. And if you want something that allows recording to your hard drive
then get a Nova USB or something. You've listed your hi-fi components and
they aren't bad, so it's not like you won't hear the difference. So why on
earth are you sticking with the low audio quality rubbish that is DAB?? You
don't get any kudos for being a martyr on here Steve.

In fact, I've been listening to R1 on FM lately and comparing FM with DTT
I'd say that FM is better. That might be to do with the software decoder for
the DEC2000, but I'm not so sure. I think that when Radio 1 installed their
new hard disk playout system it improved FM quite a bit but IIRC this was
after I'd switched to Freeview so didn't compare, but I now reckon FM is the
best.

Old July 18th 03, 11:57 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Neil

In fact, I've been listening to R1 on FM lately and comparing FM with DTT
I'd say that FM is better. That might be to do with the software decoder

for
the DEC2000, but I'm not so sure. I think that when Radio 1 installed

their
new hard disk playout system it improved FM quite a bit but IIRC this was
after I'd switched to Freeview so didn't compare, but I now reckon FM is

the
best.

Yes, I agree fully that R1 on FM does (& has for as long as I've heard them
on DAB) sound far superior! I've noticed the processed FM audio quality has
a 'sweeter' sound to it of late, sounds to me that they are using a new
processor. Can anyone confirm??

Old July 19th 03, 12:32 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Neil wrote:
In fact, I've been listening to R1 on FM lately and comparing FM
with DTT I'd say that FM is better. That might be to do with the
software decoder for the DEC2000, but I'm not so sure. I think that
when Radio 1 installed their new hard disk playout system it
improved FM quite a bit but IIRC this was after I'd switched to
Freeview so didn't compare, but I now reckon FM is the best.

Yes, I agree fully that R1 on FM does (& has for as long as I've
heard them on DAB) sound far superior! I've noticed the processed FM
audio quality has a 'sweeter' sound to it of late, sounds to me that
they are using a new processor. Can anyone confirm??

Radio 1 has had a new linear hard disk playout system installed not so long
ago and this will have improved the audio quality on all platforms.