A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 21st 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,418
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group


  #2  
Old August 21st 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Malcolm H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 542
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August


"David" wrote in message
...
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?

--
Regards,
David


A little Google work led to this:

http://www.comag-ag.de/engl/en_home.html


  #3  
Old August 21st 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

In article ,
David wrote:

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?


Magnifying the piccies on the site suggest that it's a

Silvercrest SL 65..

Originallyy, (or perhaps still), produced by COMAG.

I have had the identical set in operation for more
than a couple or three years and, as well as the
features described on:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...e_Receiver.ar3

and better described on

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...iver _Set.ar3

The SL 65 receiver, as well as being supplied with a twin LNB
allowing for the reception of two groups of satellites,
(usually Astra 28E and Hotbird 13E), also 'boasts' a USALS
set-up where you may enter your latitude and longitude and get
the SL 65 to automatically search for all satellite groups
programmed into it's database using a motorized dish set-up.

As for the receiver it appears to give rock solid and sharp,
well-defined piccies including good, vibrant colours (using a
Sony 32" W/S), as well as a quality sound. Radio is also
included.. )

Amongst the other more important things, there is also a
freeze-frame facility as well as a Zoom facility and the
ability to 'save' and store whatever piccy is on screen.

Try, however, ordinary Ceefax/Teletext from your receivers
handset - you'll get all that channels information, including
films for the next week or so - albeit all in 'foreign'!

...at least it works on my Sony ) ..as well as the digital
EPG for that channel if it's being tranmitted - and a sort
of window in window reception for the 'next' ten channels,
(moving and sound in the one selected to allow for a quick
look before choosing)..

I'm sure I've missed something here - but it really is an
easy box to use, well-prepared and put together, with a very
readable, indexed, simple and well laid out printed manual,
in 'English' ..not the often roughly translated A4 photocopy.

I'd give it top marks for quality, construction, set-up,
ease of use - and, at this stage 2/3 years on, total reliability.

Oh yes, there's also a three-year warranty should anything
go wrong...

hh... )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
  #4  
Old August 21st 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?


Magnifying the piccies on the site suggest that it's a

Silvercrest SL 65..

Originallyy, (or perhaps still), produced by COMAG.

I have had the identical set in operation for more
than a couple or three years and, as well as the
features described on:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...e_Receiver.ar3

and better described on

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...iver _Set.ar3

The SL 65 receiver, as well as being supplied with a twin LNB
allowing for the reception of two groups of satellites,
(usually Astra 28E and Hotbird 13E), also 'boasts' a USALS
set-up where you may enter your latitude and longitude and get
the SL 65 to automatically search for all satellite groups
programmed into it's database using a motorized dish set-up.

As for the receiver it appears to give rock solid and sharp,
well-defined piccies including good, vibrant colours (using a
Sony 32" W/S), as well as a quality sound. Radio is also
included.. )

Amongst the other more important things, there is also a
freeze-frame facility as well as a Zoom facility and the
ability to 'save' and store whatever piccy is on screen.

Try, however, ordinary Ceefax/Teletext from your receivers
handset - you'll get all that channels information, including
films for the next week or so - albeit all in 'foreign'!

..at least it works on my Sony ) ..as well as the digital
EPG for that channel if it's being tranmitted - and a sort
of window in window reception for the 'next' ten channels,
(moving and sound in the one selected to allow for a quick
look before choosing)..

I'm sure I've missed something here - but it really is an
easy box to use, well-prepared and put together, with a very
readable, indexed, simple and well laid out printed manual,
in 'English' ..not the often roughly translated A4 photocopy.

I'd give it top marks for quality, construction, set-up,
ease of use - and, at this stage 2/3 years on, total reliability.

Oh yes, there's also a three-year warranty should anything
go wrong...

hh... )

Bill ZFC


Are you sure it's the type of LNB that gives access to two satellites? It's
described as a twin LNB as opposed to a dual LNB. If I'm right this means
that it's a single block (one satellite) with two outputs, so it can feed a
PVR (watch one channel and record another) or feed two separate receivers.
The pic seems to bear this out too.

Also, the dish is very small (57 cm).

Still, for use in the south of England, locked on to Astra 1, Astra 2 or
Hotbird it would be a useful addition to a Freeview system at a good price
(60.00 pounds).


  #5  
Old August 22nd 06, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:


[..] (some snips)..

Are you sure it's the type of LNB that gives access to two satellites? It's
described as a twin LNB as opposed to a dual LNB. If I'm right this means
that it's a single block (one satellite) with two outputs, so it can feed a
PVR (watch one channel and record another) or feed two separate receivers.
The pic seems to bear this out too.


Perhaps - you might be correct, but I can't answer that
from my magnified examination of the sales pitch until
I see the package contents on sale - and, of course,
read the additional installation notes that come with
the complete package. (See note 1 way below)..

All that I can say - from my present experience - is
that my LiDL package LNB seems to pick up two separate
sat feeds - presently one from Hotbird at 13E at which
the dish is primarily aimed - and an additional feed that
shows as an equally strong signal apparently from
Atlantic Bird (3) at 5W.

Of course there may be other reasons as to why my
dish/LNB setup should do this, but simplistically it
does fit in with LiDL's 'twin LNB' advertising claim.
I discovered it playing around with the SL 65's
'tuning' - signal strength meters, as well as the
USALS and the DiSEqC 1.2 menu(s).. ) ..however you
speill the last..

In any event, the SL 65 can certainly support a group
of LNBs if you don't wish or need to use a motorized
dish mount...

With the SL 65's dish feed loop-through it is possible
to feed twin boxes anyway and, with it's twin scarts,
(VCR and TV - or AV1 and AV2) together with it's S-VHS
output and L/R stereo jacks, it should be possible to
connect a single box to more than one input/output or
monitoring devices.

I certainly have mine connected directly to a Thompson
VHS edit deck (historical!), a DVDR via it's S-VHS output
and a Sony TV 'monitor' at the end of an integrated AV
system without any problem, whilst maintaining an apparently
twin satellite feed.

When I get the money - (pensioner!) - I'll put in the
dish motor and see just how well my 39.99gbp box does in
the horizon to horizon auto-location stakes. Not that
I expect a problem and, after more than a couple of
years of utterly reliable viewing/archiving/timewasting
at the price, I don't think I'll be complaining toooo
loudly if it doesn't work quite as intended...! )

Also, the dish is very small (57 cm).


The LiDL package that I have came with an 85cm dish - I
rather thought this latest offer is similar - but it
would be as well to check out the separate 85cm dish which,
at 14.99gbp, should also be on offer at the same time...

The 57cm dish (or smaller?) that you mention is the one
sold with the portable camper package, so that it fits
in the suitcase holding all the parts, including the nicely
compact SL 65, which is the same 'box' that comes with
either package.

85cm would be a little on the large side for weekend
backpack luggability in the Wilds... )


Still, for use in the south of England, locked on to Astra 1, Astra 2 or
Hotbird it would be a useful addition to a Freeview system at a good price
(60.00 pounds).



Indeed - and you are also quite correct to suggest that
a buyer should check the size of the dish. With the 85cm
it picks up just about everything including the bugs on the
tree in next door's garden ..and quite a bit more as well,
from anywhere in GB and possibly beyond... )

Noticing other comments, it's as well to state that
the SL 65 is an FTA box - ie, it is for 'Free To Air'
reception; unencrypted channels freely available, of
which there are some thousands.

There is no CAM provision for subscription cards,
whether FTV or not.

hh )

Bill ZFC
e&oe ..always!

(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
...oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

...a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
  #6  
Old August 22nd 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 162
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:


Snip

(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
..oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

..a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )


Very useful info Bill!

Can I ask how much you paid for installation? Here in London I'm being
quoted ludicrous sums (around 200 pounds) for what is a simple rig. This is
for both fixed dish and motorised systems. Admittedly it's prior to a proper
site survey, so the actual cost might come down a bit.

I'd be prepared to do it myself but I'm nervous about drilling into masonry
for setting up the dish mount and routing the cable into the lounge.


  #7  
Old August 22nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Paul D wrote:
Bill (Adopt) wrote:


Snip


(1) As these packages tend to get sold within the first
ten or fifteen minutes from the opening of all the LiDL
stores, across Europe - I've found the best way to check
the manuals and installation notes is to grab a couple of
packages - plus extra bits such as an additional dish,
satellite 'finders', cabling or whatever else first - bang
them in your trolley - then gently open one package to get
at the said manuals and notes.

Quickly check - you will have a conversation with one or
more similar enthusiasts - and then, when satisfied that
you have what you want, put the extra bits back on the
shelf/in the bins. They too will then disappear within..
..oooeerr.. 60 seconds or less!

..a thought to the wise... again, hope helps.. )


Very useful info Bill!


You're welcome, Paul ..just hope it is a help. I have
found that LiDL offerings, including their yearly satellite
packages, to be very good value. There's always that little
extra that you don't expect - and a strong 3yr warranty if
anything should ever go amiss...

Can I ask how much you paid for installation?


Initially (it was an analogue package around four years ago),
39.99gbp for the package - including 20metres of quality
cabling, all weather seals, F-Connectors - the works including
the twin universal LNB). I paid an additional 2.99gbp for
the mounting bracket...

So.. 41.98gbp and a few minutes graft with a drill-owning
friend - who also had the correct sizes of ring spanners
for the various dish and mounting bolts...

The next year added to with the new digital SL 65 box at
39.99gbpwhich just dropped in perfectly without any further
fuss. The same well-sorted little box as on sale next week.

The prices haven't changed!

In your case, perhaps 59.99gbp for the complete package
with all the bits and pieces; possibly 14.99gbp for an
85cm dish if the package doesn't have it - although not
necessary for London and the South - and, again, 2.99gbp
for the basic bracket - perhaps an extra 3.99gbp for a
the digital satellite locator just in case...

A set of simple tools - ring spanners, cross-head drivers
and a borrowed masonry drill would be helpful ) - the
mountings come with all the 'Rawlplug' type masonry fixings
along with the rest of the package. So whatever your choice
adds up to - from 39.99gbp/41.98gbp to a possible 82.96gbp
inclusive of all extras...

Here in London I'm being
quoted ludicrous sums (around 200 pounds) for what is a simple rig.
This is
for both fixed dish and motorised systems. Admittedly it's prior to
a proper
site survey, so the actual cost might come down a bit.


Unless you have Bill Wright doing it, then don't be
surprised if the cost goes towards the satellites
themselves. It's still an area of (often unecessary)
calculations, compasses, complex equations, fingers in
wind and so on! Like a mediocre Barista's capuccino,
you can pay for the flash performance, rather than the
quality of the brewed liquid... )

I'd be prepared to do it myself but I'm nervous about drilling
into masonry
for setting up the dish mount and routing the cable into the lounge.


OK.. I did my own - or rather I encouraged my near
neighbour with a similar heart operation to the multiple
bypass that I have had, to assist. Between us we somehow
mounted the bracket on the wall at a convenient spot.
(The quality cabling and all plugs, silicon seals etc etc
comes with the LiDL kit).

Don't, however, drill into any mortar - mortar is not
strong enough to support the weight of the bracket and
dish. In a strong wind, the dish has an enormous force
- and can sail many hundreds of metres if it ever takes
off. Dishes have been known to bring down whole walls -
although an innocent 'ooops' to your buildings insurer
will probably get immediate help!...

Mounting the bracket meant drilling four holes for, in my
case, the basic 2.99gbp steel mounting bracket - also on
sale next week in LiDL. It's not advanced technology - but
has survived storm level winds, snow, hail, sleet as well
as an early hamfisted adjustment, for more than three years
now...

The important thing is to make sure that the upright upon
which you will mount either the dish, or the motor to which
you may attach the dish, is absolutely perpendicular. Use a
spirit level to check this, from all 'sides'. This is
essential to get the dish trained correctly in the next few
minutes - saving many hours of experimentation and fuss later.

However, don't bend the upright part of the tubing - it's
rather hefty anyway - put washers behind the four bolts
of the backing plate, but only if necessary. On tightening
the backing plate the mounting will be firmly held against
the wall, the washers providing any slight angle adjustment
in aligning the mount to the perpendicular. It's actually
easier than it reads...

After that, follow the destructions that come in the dish
package... they tell you how to line the dish up and tweak
it to get the best signal. (Signal detectors are also
available at LiDL, next week, for 3.99gbp) - although the
SL 65 also has strength and quality signal detectors on
board as well...

By the way - you don't always /need/ to mount the dish on
a roof or chimney pot - unless you live permanently in the
loft.. )

They can be mounted at normal ground level standing height
and just next to the window nearest to your TV/AV setup..

Unlike analogue or digital TV that need some clear line
to a transmitter, the microwaves of a satellite transmission
have already travelled the best part of (at least) 47,000 miles
getting to you - 23,500 'up' and 23,500 back 'down'. So,
a few feet more or less up or down on the side of your house,
flats, whatever isn't going to make too much of a difference.

Of course it's better to have line of site to a satellite -
but the dishes will work surprisingly well providing other
houses, trees, walls etc aren't within less than a few metres
or so. (Often hidden low down in a garden, just above the
reach of a grasscutter is a position that can please both
neighbours and the local council)!

Nearby trees can be the most difficult, with evilly waving
branches deliberately set on knackering your Sunday afternoon's
gondola racing from Venice... )

Whatever, if all else fails and you still can't get a signal,
then don't be frightened of asking a known professional or
neighbour who's done it before, to help tweak the dish it's
final few steps. It's a lot cheaper and chances are that you
will manage it for yourself by following carefully, step by
step, all the instructions that come with the kit.

Hope this all helps.. )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
  #8  
Old August 21st 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
SoWeezy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?


can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?


  #9  
Old August 21st 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yaz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August


"SoWeezy" wrote in message
. uk...
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?


can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Which channels would one get with this receiver in the Midlands area? Any
subscriptions?

Yaz


  #10  
Old August 21st 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 370
Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Thus spaketh Yaz:
"SoWeezy" wrote in message
. uk...
Silvercrest is model number and web site of this make known?


can you only get the FTV and not the FTA channels ?

Which channels would one get with this receiver in the Midlands area?
Any subscriptions?

Yaz


Too numerous to list.

Take a look at www.freesatfromsky.com you will be able to view all those
channels minus Ch4, Five and Sky Three

Then have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html view all the
different satellites and look for which ones are FTA (Free To Air - In
The Clear) and then check the coverage maps and see if the dish you buy
is big enough to pull those channels in.


--
DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
PAYG Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.