Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Old August 25th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andereida

Default Lidl Satellite reciever etc. from 28th August

Brian McKenna wrote:
The receiver alone is worth it just to use as a digital radio outlet along
with a stereo,that what i will use it for,i already have a quad lnb and
satellite conections through out the house3!

I have some interest in this. Currently, I have an old installation
comprising a Sky analogue dish and Nokia receiver. It receives around 40
analogue transmissions, mainly German, from the satellite formerly used
by Sky. Was this Astra 10 deg?

Wonder about using the Lidl receiver on this set-up but I suspect that a
new LNB will be required to access digital transmissions. Would like to
receive any French language stations which are free to view.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Andereida
Old August 25th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Andereida wrote:
Brian McKenna wrote:
The receiver alone is worth it just to use as a digital radio

[..]

I have some interest in this. Currently, I have an old installation
comprising a Sky analogue dish and Nokia receiver. It receives around 40
analogue transmissions, mainly German, from the satellite formerly used
by Sky. Was this Astra 10 deg?

Dunno - might be ..or probably pointing at Astra 19E,
(which is the satellite group from which LiDL's SL65
download's any updated software. (Your new box won't
need it immediately, though - it works 'as is')!

Wonder about using the Lidl receiver on this set-up but I suspect that a
new LNB will be required to access digital transmissions. Would like to
receive any French language stations which are free to view.

No 'new' LNB needed for a change from analogue to
digital, providing your old LNB is a 'Universal',
so that it can access any DiSEqC switching commands.

As always - try first and only then change if it is
necessary.

Be wary of 'claims' ..or believing that a 0.2 LNB is
a 'better' LNB than one with a 0.6 noise factor. It
doesn't always follow - in the same way that leads
costing 89.99gbp are rarely better than ones costing
5.99gbp - and so on.

For further infornation about the LiDL offers, look
to the discussion in this thread where I have listed
as comprehensively as possible the features of the
SL65.

If the odd 'feature' sounds complex, pass over it and
look for those little things that make the box easy to
use. It is, literally, 'plug and play' - as long as
your dish is pointed at a main satellite group such as
Hotbird 13E, Astra at 19E, et al.

These satellite groups are all pre-entered into your
LiDL SL65 and will access immediately providing your
dish is in the correct direction.

hh...

Bill ZFC

Hope helps...

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=-
http://www.billsimpson.com/
Old August 25th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
Paul D wrote:

...snips..

...in any case, you will end up with an additional 57cm
dish + mount, a digital (analogue) satellite audio beep
and visual locator, as well as an inclusive 20 metres plus
of quality cabling together with a complete set of
F-connectors and silicon rubber seals - all of which you
might well need anyway (and which probably will cost near
enough a Maplin 20.00gbp extra) - as well as having the now
spare, new if albeit single, (if it is), quality LNB to hang
onto yet another box in the not too distant future...

Good idea Bill!

Thank you )

I was browsing various satellite websites last night and I'm getting more
and more interested in the whole thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how
well-priced dish motors are, so another scheme I thought of was this: buy a
pre-configured motorised dish kit (typical price for 80cm dish plus motor
and all mounting parts is around 70 pounds) and use the dish kit with the
SL65. This would give me a fully motorised setup with a good sized dish for
110 pounds!

Yes ..I've a friend who's presently doing the same thing.
The dish is the same as the LiDL dish and the motor,
(perhaps Chinese), is a really solid, quiet and useful
looking affair.

Unfortunately the box, a German Lemon(!), isn't anywhere
near as well-sorted as the SL65. It certainly doesn't
have USALS - or, if it does, it's stuck in some really
inaccessible menu that we haven't been able to get at!

Sort of defeats the whole purpose when you have to manually
tell the thing to move to the satellite of your choice...
...still, 'nuff said. LiDL's SL65 seems to be a breeze in
comparison - unless anyone has had other experiences... ))

I could probably bring that price down to around 100 pounds by buying the
Lidl 85cm dish and then buying a motor and other bits separately, but by
buying the motorised dish kit from one supplier at least I know it will all
work together.

Not enough experience here, (how did you guess!), for
me to make any judgements about 'pre-configured' satellite
dish motors et al.

The 'pre-configured' bit sounds as if it's for people
who already have (usually expensive) boxes bought a
few short years ago, that don't have the benenfit of
USALS or Technomate's 'Blind Search' facility on board.

Their box can move the dish - but there's no facility
to update that part of the box's (hardwired?) software.

Nowadays, it's normally the box that has all the software
onboard to generate all the movements of the dish ..at
least at the level we're talking about. You centre your
motor on the (perpendicular, or else!), mounting pole -
your dish aligned on the motor shaft and, Hey Presto!..
with a LiDL bit of luck, things will happen!

It's through the box that you tell your dish the latitude
and longitude - to 0.1 or finer decimal - where you are on
the planet - and then which satellite it is pointing at.

With luck - and USALS (or even 'GoToX'), it will then work
out where everything is for you - and move things auto
when you order it to by selecting another channel...

You will probably have to set your East and West limits,
so that you don't knock-off your neighbours chimney pot,
or stick the LNB arm up Dick van Dyke doing a, 'Bedknobs
and Broomsticks' impression just outside your window.. )

If I bought the SL65 I'd get the kit for 59.99 as you suggest.

Difficult to know, really - but ..whatever.. get down to
your local LiDL /early/, grab a trolley and jam it up
against the entrance door so that you're in first - the
rush to the stack can be just like Harrods New Year Sale!

Grab /everything/ first - and then work out what you
really need in a quiet corner. Only then approach the
check-out!

...btw.. 'early' mean really, really early. At our LiDL
here we've had queues of 200/300 pensioners, (I am one
of them for my LiDL satellite bits - and other desirable
excellent quality/value goodies), almost an hour before
the store opening time - remember, this is a Bank Holiday
weekend ..just like the very same New Year Sales...

Perhaps quietly reconnoitre your local store near closing
time on Sunday before anyone knows what you're up to...

...it all adds to the fun ..and to the excitement of
anticipation!

...good luck! )

Bill ZFC

Old August 26th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andereida

Bill (Adopt) wrote:
In article ,
Andereida wrote:
Brian McKenna wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your advice. My "10 deg" was a typo - the dish is pointing
to Astra 19E. I think the LNB is a universal one so, as you say, the
installation should be 'plug and play'.

All I need to do is get up early on Monday!

Muchly appreciated, Bill.

Andereida
Old August 26th 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Andereida" " bhk5835-ng1:
Brian McKenna wrote:
The receiver alone is worth it just to use as a digital radio outlet
along with a stereo,that what i will use it for,i already have a
quad lnb and satellite conections through out the house3!

I have some interest in this. Currently, I have an old installation
comprising a Sky analogue dish and Nokia receiver. It receives around
40 analogue transmissions, mainly German, from the satellite formerly
used by Sky. Was this Astra 10 deg?

Wonder about using the Lidl receiver on this set-up but I suspect
that a new LNB will be required to access digital transmissions.
Would like to receive any French language stations which are free to
view.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Andereida

No such thing as Sky analogue dish. Please no Sky-brainwashing.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
Old August 26th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

No such thing as Sky analogue dish.

but there was.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old August 26th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

charles wrote:
In article ,
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

No such thing as Sky analogue dish.

but there was.

Oh no there wasn't.

Old August 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Adrian A wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

No such thing as Sky analogue dish.

but there was.

Oh no there wasn't.

OK, being pedantic, there was a dish installation for the old Astra
(analogue) satellite which Sky gave you & installed for you if you signed a
suitable contract. I reckon that could reasonably be called a Sky analogue
dish - even if it did pick up other services, too.

--
From KT24 - in "Leafy Surrey"

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.11

Old August 26th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Clarke

"Bill (Adopt)" wrote in message ...

OK ..to try and avoid immediate questions and for any
who are interested - the SL65's list of features/benefits:
[...]

TV scart with CVBS, RGB and YUV...

RGB SCART ? How do you enable it ?

There's nothing that I can see on my box (it's an
SL 65/12 - the one that comes with the Lidl camping
satellite system). It was my one and only grumble
about it, and a very minor one at that.

Steve.

Old August 27th 06, 02:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill (Adopt)

In article , Stephen Clarke
wrote:
"Bill (Adopt)" wrote in message

[..]
TV scart with CVBS, RGB and YUV...

RGB SCART ? How do you enable it ?

There's nothing that I can see on my box (it's an SL 65/12 - the one that
comes with the Lidl camping satellite system). It was my one and only
grumble about it, and a very minor one at that.

On mine which, as a SL65 I thought was the same, I key
into the various multi-layered menus by pressing:

-Menu..
-System Configuration..
-System Setup..
-TV..
-Video Output..

finally selecting from
-CVBS, RGB or YCbCr

...and remembering to press the central 'OK' button to
update and store the newly selected setting, followed
by a couple of presses on the exit key to get back to
the channel presently on screen...

...at least that's what happens here ..I guess.. ?)

(There's also a 'video out' alongside the analogue L/R
jacks together with an s-vhs connection, as well as
digital coaxial and digital optical sound out)..

...hh.. )

Bill ZFC