Rigger's diary - lightning

Old July 18th 03, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Duncan Ross

Default Rigger's diary - lightning

From: "Aztech"
Date: 18/07/03 14:13 GMT Daylight Time
"Wrightsaerials" wrote in message
Here's what happenned yesterday. Lightning hit the end of the roof of a

block
of flats. The milk lady was stood just below and she was knocked against a

wall
by the pressure wave, breaking several bottles. The building has a

conventional
roof with a loft space, Later we found the loft was brightly lit thanks to

the
hole in the roof. The end of the roof apex near the gable had disappeared,

and
about a dozen tiles were smashed or missing. The woodwork in that area was
charred. In the flat immediately below, all the nails in the ceiling were
protruding about 10mm, suggesting that the plaster board had had been

pushed
down. The TV system in that block serves 14 flats. Amongst these there were
four dead TV sets and one dead VCR. One flat at the opposite end to the

strike
had no mains power at the incoming supply.

Hrm, that expedition sounds far too everyday and straightforward for you
Bill, I
think you're making it up There has to be at least one cruel twist.

Az.

Yeah, where's the "while I was up there I found the previous idiot had used 50
ohm cable connectors feeding into the distribution amp, hope he dies in a car
crash" section...?
Old July 19th 03, 02:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

Hrm, that expedition sounds far too everyday and straightforward for you
Bill, I
think you're making it up There has to be at least one cruel twist.

Oh yes, well, I forgot to mention the bloke in the ground floor flat. When the
lightning struck he was in bed on his back, at the crucial moment of an erotic
dream. Since lightning always strikes prominent upright conductive objects it
is no surprise that a bolt went right through his duvet and passed to ground
via his uretha, gonads, and bedframe. The bed irons were melted to a puddle and
his erection was solidified into carbon. Always one to look on the bright
side, he told me it might be quite a benefit on a Saturday night after 14 pints
of lager.

Old July 19th 03, 02:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

Yeah, where's the "while I was up there I found the previous idiot had used
50
ohm cable connectors feeding into the distribution amp, hope he dies in a car
crash" section...?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the previous installer had fixed the aerial wall
bracket to the brickwork using cat**** as an adhesive. I only found out when I
wanted to remove it. No way could I get it off the wall. What a product!