Currys Customer Service

Old July 20th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Taylor

Default Currys Customer Service

On 2006-07-20, Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
In message , linkuk
writes

Any suggestions or folk with similar problems who managed to resolve the
problem without waiting maybe a month or so

I cant understand why retailers are allowed to get away with selling
extended warranties when normal consumers rights are good enough.
If they ask me if i want to take out an extended warranty i reply "why? is
going to go wrong then? is this model unreliable?"
Usually stops the sales pitch quite rapidly. lol

You might think so, but I remember a sales guy at the now defunct
Rumbelows getting so peeved I wouldn't buy the extended warranty that he
started jostling me as I carried the box out of the door. "Wouldn't do
to drop it, as you've no extended cover," he said as he bumped into me.
They make a huge commission on these things and can get very stroppy if
you say no.

You should've just dropped it (preferably on his foot) and demanded a
replacement.

--
David Taylor
Old July 20th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Rozdoba

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
[...]

LOL

Usually after giving the "Why? Is it going to go wrong then? Is this
model unreliable?" line, they do indeed respond with "You might drop
it", to which I prefer the response "No. Do you drop things very often?
You haven't handled insert item being purchased have you?" or
depending on my mood "No. Do you? I knew someone who had that problem &
it turned out they had a brain tumour. Perhaps you should sit down"

Not that I buy from them anymore, aside form the very occasional reduced
item.

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Old July 20th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian A

[...]

I remember once I was buying a VCR from Rumbelows, I got so annoyed with the
salesman trying to sell me the extended warranty that I left the shop
without buying anything. I got the VCR 20 cheaper from an independent.
--
Adrian

Old July 20th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Adrian A wrote:

I remember once I was buying a VCR from Rumbelows, I got so annoyed with
the salesman trying to sell me the extended warranty that I left the shop
without buying anything. I got the VCR 20 cheaper from an independent.

I went to buy some item from Comet and intended to use my credit card.
They wanted my Bank account details. I bought elsewhere.

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Old July 20th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Edward Cowling London UK

In message , Adrian A
writes

I remember once I was buying a VCR from Rumbelows, I got so annoyed with the
salesman trying to sell me the extended warranty that I left the shop
without buying anything. I got the VCR 20 cheaper from an independent.

I did the same after that. This was in Islington and I suppose the moral
of the story is that Rumbelows has long gone, but the small independent
guy I bought loads of stuff from is still there is Essex Road.

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old July 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Edward Cowling London UK

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
Adrian A wrote:

I remember once I was buying a VCR from Rumbelows, I got so annoyed with
the salesman trying to sell me the extended warranty that I left the shop
without buying anything. I got the VCR 20 cheaper from an independent.

I went to buy some item from Comet and intended to use my credit card.
They wanted my Bank account details. I bought elsewhere.

Funny enough Comet was the only other store where I've found excessive
zeal in selling extended warranties. I bought my Mum a cordless answer
phone unit for about 65 and they wanted about 40 for the extended
warranty. I laughed and said it was hardly worth it, and the sales guy
then spent about half an hour doing his "handling objections" routine to
sell me the damn extended cover. If I hadn't found exactly what I wanted
I would have gone elsewhere. Needless to say I never bought the extended
cover :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old July 20th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

linkuk wrote:
Any suggestions or folk with similar problems who managed to
resolve the problem without waiting maybe a month or so

I cant understand why retailers are allowed to get away with selling
extended warranties when normal consumers rights are good enough.
If they ask me if i want to take out an extended warranty i reply
"why? is going to go wrong then? is this model unreliable?"
Usually stops the sales pitch quite rapidly. lol

IIRC didn't the UK government refuse to sign up to EU legislation which
would have given us an automatic three year warranty on electrical goods?

Old July 20th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Cartmell

In article ,
Ivan wrote:
linkuk wrote:
Any suggestions or folk with similar problems who managed to
resolve the problem without waiting maybe a month or so

I cant understand why retailers are allowed to get away with selling
extended warranties when normal consumers rights are good enough.
If they ask me if i want to take out an extended warranty i reply
"why? is going to go wrong then? is this model unreliable?"
Usually stops the sales pitch quite rapidly. lol

IIRC didn't the UK government refuse to sign up to EU legislation which
would have given us an automatic three year warranty on electrical goods?

No. Our legislation is already stronger giving you 6 years on all goods
(excepting those with an obvious shorter shelf-life).

Retailers will not want you to know that and will try to fob you off with more
limited manufacturers' warranties.

--
John Cartmell [email protected] followed by finnybank.com 0845 006 8822

Old July 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
linkuk

"Ivan" wrote in message
. uk...
linkuk wrote:
Any suggestions or folk with similar problems who managed to
resolve the problem without waiting maybe a month or so

I cant understand why retailers are allowed to get away with selling
extended warranties when normal consumers rights are good enough.
If they ask me if i want to take out an extended warranty i reply
"why? is going to go wrong then? is this model unreliable?"
Usually stops the sales pitch quite rapidly. lol

IIRC didn't the UK government refuse to sign up to EU legislation which
would have given us an automatic three year warranty on electrical goods?

Uk legislation takes of it better than eec laws so better off saying with
our own.
Just hat the shops hardly give lip service to it so they can try and sell
extended waranties.
Uk law is automatic, in place and longer than 3 years if i recall correctly.

I think basically if its not fit for purpose you can ask the retailer for a
refund in full.

This is a usefull source:
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/goo...s/fs_e01.shtml

Old July 20th 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivan

John Cartmell wrote:
In article ,
Ivan wrote:
linkuk wrote:
Any suggestions or folk with similar problems who managed to
resolve the problem without waiting maybe a month or so

I cant understand why retailers are allowed to get away with selling
extended warranties when normal consumers rights are good enough.
If they ask me if i want to take out an extended warranty i reply
"why? is going to go wrong then? is this model unreliable?"
Usually stops the sales pitch quite rapidly. lol

IIRC didn't the UK government refuse to sign up to EU legislation
which would have given us an automatic three year warranty on
electrical goods?

No. Our legislation is already stronger giving you 6 years on all
goods (excepting those with an obvious shorter shelf-life).

Retailers will not want you to know that and will try to fob you off
with more limited manufacturers' warranties.

Most German electrical stuff I buy seems to carry an automatic three-year
warranty.

So what you're saying is then, that if I purchase and item such as a TV or a
DVD recorder, then I get an automatic six-year warranty with it, and not the
usual one year which normally comes with the supplied warranty card?