Nova-T PCI - Help!!!

Old July 15th 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Nova-T PCI - Help!!!

Finally managed to get the Nova-T PCI to see past my firewall and
actually get a couple of channels, but now I have a problem that
has totally stumped me.

I can start the software, I hear some sound but see no picture and
then I get a "DVB-TV.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience." error......

Any possible ideas of what it might be?

I run WinXP on a Celeron 2.2Ghz with 512MB ram. System should be up to
it, but could it be a problem with the fact that I have disabled the
on-board AGP video and installed a Matrox Millenium G450 instead?

Looked through the help on the web page and:

(1) In the BIOS have set the graphics card to PCI and not AGP

(2) I have no "Advanced PnP/PCI configurations" so can't "set the PCI
Latency to ether 8,15,32,64 or 96"

(3) Checked the IRQ in device manager....but how do I make sure that
nothing else is trying to use the same IRQ? How do I see a list of
all IRQ numbers and what they are assigned to?

Any help would be great....spent all day getting the damn aerial lead
from the roof to the office, so it has to work!

Old July 15th 03, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Nick Mattocks \(LT\)

wrote in message
fn.de...

[...]

Did you have a previously installed copy of WinDVD on your system? If so,
try uninstalling completely, and then re-install the Nova-T and associated
software.

I initially assumed the Matrox is an AGP card, but just realised it might
well be a PCI version (the clue is in the fact you state you set the AGP/PCI
priority in BIOS to PCI). Matrox PCI graphics cards are notorious for
setting bus priorities in their favour in the interest of gaining a little
speed especially if using a Matrox optimised driver rather than the WHQL
certified version. I mention using signed drivers again a little further
down.

Where is the Nova-T installed in relation to the AGP card? Most
motherboards (not all) arrange the hardwired allocation of IRQs in such a
way as to share the same IRQ between the AGP slot and PCI slot 1. Try the
Nova-T in another slot after trying the re-installation of graphics card
drivers.

You could always remove your Matrox card, perform a system restore to a
point when the Nova T worked properly, uninstall the on-board graphics
drivers, shut down, install the Matrox again and see what happens.

Alternatively as you partially suggest, you may not have uninstalled your
previous graphics card drivers properly before you changed the card. This
may mean that certain DLL files still remain from the old on board card's
installation and they could be causing your problems - or at least problems
with the overlay surface you are using. with the Nova-T. Windows XP
usually works best in most cases (and by best I mean stable rather than
necessarily fast) if digitally signed drivers are used rather than unsigned
ones as the signed versions have been approved by Microsoft.

The other thing you might like to consider is whether your RAM is performing
properly at whatever BIOS settings you have got enabled. It's always useful
to try a RAM testing program like MEMTEST86 which is freely available for
download on the Net. Tests 5 and 6 usually highlight any errors. The
remedy is usually to increase CAS timings from 2 to 2.5 or 3. If you
continue to experience errors, sometimes raising the memory voltage from
2.5v to 2.6v will help, otherwise get it swapped for a well known branded
type with a guarantee of quality.

In answer to your Q's

1. Shouldn't make any difference

2. Shouldn't make any difference either (if it's a Gigabyte board, you may
be able to bring up additional BIOS menu items by pressing Ctrl + F1 though)

3. System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/View/Resources by type - most
systems these days are ACPI enabled and devices all tend to be listed on one
or two IRQs. If your system is around 12 months old or less, you shouldn't
really need to worry about ACPI issues too much.

Old July 15th 03, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter G Sheppard

I can start the software, I hear some sound but see no picture and
then I get a "DVB-TV.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience." error......

Any possible ideas of what it might be?

Netmeeting. That's what caused the error for me. The two are completely
incompatible. I don't know if anyone else notices, but when netmeeting
starts, the screen goes black for a second - it seems to run in some funny
display mode....

HTH

Old July 15th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
M Taylor

I would try completely disabling your firewall, exit the app, whatever you
have to do, i mean COMPLETELY. And pull the network wire out the back if
you're worried about security. If the nova-t works, you'll know it's to do
with the firewall.

Also, (as it said in one of the other posts), make sure you've got no
software running that hogs the overlay eg Netmeeting, or else nova-t won't
be able to use the overlay and you will get no picture.

Mk