How to recompress/convert a MPEG-2 file with TMPGenc

Old July 15th 03, 06:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
martin dibb

Default How to recompress/convert a MPEG-2 file with TMPGenc

I have a need to recompress/convert an MPEG-2 file recorded in 16:9 ratio to
4:3.

Is there a way to do it using TMPGenc plus? Up to now if I try to load an
..mpg file I get the message "Can not open or unsupported".

Any help appreciated.

Mart

Old July 15th 03, 07:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter L

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:16:38 +0100, "martin dibb"
wrote:

I have a need to recompress/convert an MPEG-2 file recorded in 16:9 ratio to
4:3.

Is there a way to do it using TMPGenc plus? Up to now if I try to load an
.mpg file I get the message "Can not open or unsupported".

I think you need to run the file through DVD2AVI first. There's a
guide here, mainly for SVCD to VCD conversion but the first step, with
DVD2AVI is the same.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/mpeg2tovcd.htm

HTH
Old July 15th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wideass

I have a need to recompress/convert an MPEG-2 file recorded in 16:9 ratio to
4:3.

I believe that you can do this by tweaking header information in the
mpeg file. I don't know the details, but there is a bit of software
that does it for you.
It's called AVestensione and you get it from www.offeryn.de (same
place as PVAstrumento).
Old July 16th 03, 10:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
martin dibb

Hi Peter,

Yes that worked a treat!

Regards
Mart

Old July 25th 03, 07:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
martin dibb

"John Russell" wrote in message ...
"martin dibb" wrote in message
I have a need to recompress/convert an MPEG-2 file recorded in 16:9 ratio

4:3.

Is there a way to do it using TMPGenc plus? Up to now if I try to load an
.mpg file I get the message "Can not open or unsupported".

Any help appreciated.

Mart

I'm not sure what you mean. 16:9 is just anamorphically compressed 4:3 data
(or video). Are you saying you want to generate a letterbox video, or
extract the center portion? This is how a DVD player would create a 4:3
compatible output from a 16:9 video.

My video source is from the Nebula-electronics DigiTV freeview card.

The problem is the Adverts prior to the show starting were 16:9 but
the show was 4:3, i.e. NOT anamorphically compressed.

But TMPGenc DVDauthor 'thinks' the whole video is 16:9 which makes the
4:3 look stretched or squashed.

Anyway the problem has been solved, the latest version of TMPGenc Plus
accepts MPEG-2 files straight off.

Regards
Mart