TV License Evasion

Old July 2nd 03, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
fred

Default TV License Evasion

In article , Bill Bennett [email protected]
EGGIE.co.uk writes
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch telly in
his dormroom.

What are the chances TV-L will come and kick his ass if he doesnt pay?

What if he has a real TV (which he covers up if the detectors come round),
and fobs them off with a little battery powered handheld TV (which would be
covered under his parents license?)

You may find the licensing and uni authorities in cahoots, my niece was
asked by uni authorities (at Sheffield) to cough up or sign a declaration
that she was not using. False declaration had expulsion type penalties
(can't remember exactly what) with door knocking room checks to verify.
--
fred
Old July 2nd 03, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
KingStew

(can't remember exactly what) with door knocking room checks to verify.

You can just tell them to sod off you know. tv inspectors and uni campus
workers cant enter your room without prior warning. More than enough time to
hide a telly in your mates room.

Old July 2nd 03, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stuart

"KingStew" wrote in message

(can't remember exactly what) with door knocking room checks to verify.

You can just tell them to sod off you know. tv inspectors and uni campus
workers cant enter your room without prior warning. More than enough time

hide a telly in your mates room.

Ahem, this is uk.tech.DIGITAL-TV.

So there might be the litle local difficulty of unscrewing Uncle Rupert's
Goonhilly Down look-a-like or, it being South Yorkshire, one of
WrightsAerial arrays firmly bolted ("no cowboys here guv") to every load
bearing beam in sight....

In my day - student rooms were for two purposes only. The other was storing
unwashed undies till end of term. What's gone wrong?

--
Stuart

Old July 2nd 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gareth Attrill

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:54:31 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , Bill Bennett [email protected]
EGGIE.co.uk writes
So, a friend of mine is going to Uni this year, he wants to watch telly in
his dormroom.

What are the chances TV-L will come and kick his ass if he doesnt pay?

What if he has a real TV (which he covers up if the detectors come round),
and fobs them off with a little battery powered handheld TV (which would be
covered under his parents license?)

You may find the licensing and uni authorities in cahoots, my niece was
asked by uni authorities (at Sheffield) to cough up or sign a declaration
that she was not using. False declaration had expulsion type penalties
(can't remember exactly what) with door knocking room checks to verify.

If they had half a brain they'd have switched sockets which are
enabled on production of a licence.

Gareth

Old July 2nd 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaime

snip
If they had half a brain they'd have switched sockets which are
enabled on production of a licence.

Switched aerial sockets? Hows that help when you can just use a set top one,
also I havent heard of anyone who has lived in halls which have aerial
sockets in the rooms.

Jaime

Old July 3rd 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Clark

Jaime wrote:

snip

If they had half a brain they'd have switched sockets which are
enabled on production of a licence.

Switched aerial sockets? Hows that help when you can just use a set top one,
also I havent heard of anyone who has lived in halls which have aerial
sockets in the rooms.

Jaime

I did. Wasn't a particularly good system, but we did have fun on a
couple of occasions, one was where someone connected their ethernet card
to it, the other was when someone broadcast their computer desktop
across ~150 rooms.

I was at Exeter.