UK Government's "Digital" Advisor

Old November 6th 03, 06:18 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
David G. Bell

Default UK Government's "Digital" Advisor

On Thursday, in article
rnet[dot]co[dot]uk "Simon Gardner" wrote:

In article ,
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote:

Just look at the popularity of
DVDs, people bought that because the picture quality and audio quality is
much better than VHS

Oh really?

Apart from detail, which I'm sure some will dispute, just being able to
take advantage of a 16:9 screen, and so waste less screen lines to see
all of a wide-screen film, is a considerable advantage. Add the
potential for full multi-channel surround sound, which is better than
the Dolby Pro-Logic available on VHS, and the difference can be
staggering.

Personally, I would recommend "Fellowship of the Ring", though the DTS
soundtrack on the Extended Version is flaws. Gandalf's fireworks are
better than the "Saving Private Ryan" rip-offs that were deployed around
here last night.

(If you really want big rockets, the DVD of "The Dish" has the NASA
footage of a Saturn V engine-start -- turn the audio up to 11.)

"History shows that the Singularity started when Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."
Old November 6th 03, 06:49 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ivor Jones

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
In , "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

As I've said, that is the main stumbling block at present, recording off
HDTV isn't easy, it requires a receiver card in a PC and a very large

hard
drive..!

The hi-def version of the TiVo is due for release in the USA very soon.

Which is a very large HDD and a receiver card, is it not ;-)))

(Sorry, couldn't resist..!) Any info on the web about this..?

Ivor

Old November 6th 03, 07:01 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

No, not really, absolutely ****ing definitely.

--
Steve - http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/ - Digital Radio News & Info

DAB sounds worse than Freeview, digital satellite, cable, broadband
internet and FM

Old November 7th 03, 12:15 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
JPG

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:57:15 +0000, Silk wrote:

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

(my 6 year old niece has
got better grammar than you)

Why the unnecessary use of the word "got"?

Why the unnecessary nit-picking of a put-down post which is one of the funniest
ones I have read in a long while.

Usenet is plagued with what seem to be 14-year old boys who, fed up of playing
with their willies, start playing with their Dad's computer and impose their
SMS-contaminated English upon us.

Get back to wanking over Lara Croft and leave usenet to the grown-ups.

Glass houses, he who is without sin, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Old November 7th 03, 01:44 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Silk

JPG wrote:

Why the unnecessary nit-picking of a put-down post which is one of the funniest
ones I have read in a long while.

You obviously don't read much.

Usenet is plagued with what seem to be 14-year old boys who, fed up of playing
with their willies, start playing with their Dad's computer and impose their
SMS-contaminated English upon us.

Please don't base your opinion of others on your own experience.

Get back to wanking over Lara Croft and leave usenet to the grown-ups.

Don't let me keep you.

Old November 7th 03, 01:58 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
S P O N I X

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 23:37:57 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Hmmph..! I've seen HDTV in the US and it knocks spots off anything I've ever
seen before. I'd rather have the 5 terrestrial channels in HDTV than any
numbe of satellite offerings in mediocre quality.

The majority of the British public don't want to pay more than a
couple of hundred quid for a telly. You can't tell me that they'd get
an HDTV set for that!

When will the HDTV crowd understand the majority of the UK public are
not interested in it?

sPoNiX
Old November 7th 03, 02:16 PM posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

wrote:

Hmmph..! I've seen HDTV in the US and it knocks spots off anything
I've ever seen before. I'd rather have the 5 terrestrial channels in
HDTV than any numbe of satellite offerings in mediocre quality.

The majority of the British public don't want to pay more than a
couple of hundred quid for a telly. You can't tell me that they'd get
an HDTV set for that!

When will the HDTV crowd understand the majority of the UK public are
not interested in it?

They've never even heard about it you, so how on earth can they be
interested in it you dozy git?

Look at the success of DVD players over the last 3 years. They've been a
phenomenal success in the UK, and you ask 100 people why they got a DVD
player, then the vast majority of people will say because it provides far
better picture quality and audio quality than VHS. Remember that they've
bought DVD players just to playback videos, even though they've already got
a VHS machine.

When will those believe that everybody wants low picture and audio quality
realise that people want as good quality as they can get. But that brings us
back to cost issues, and consumers are very price-sensitive. But these big
displays are getting cheaper and it seems to me that the large display
market seems to moving pretty rapidly at the moment.

HDTV would be appealing to the consumers. Obviously those that pay 400 for
a TV won't rush out to buy displays required for HDTV, but that's where
early adopters go out, then you get rave reviews in magazines, then the
press, then the prices drop, then more people buy them etc etc, and you end
up with them mass market.