Ch4 to cease digital transmission on Sky.

Old July 13th 03, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

Default Ch4 to cease digital transmission on Sky.

Watching Ch4 on my non subscription Sky digibox tonight got an on screen
message saying this transmission will cease soon.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 14th 03, 07:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"harrogate" wrote in message

Thencefoward the only active Sky card will be a subscription card, so if

you
don't have a current Sky subscription ITV/4/5 will cease.

Is this blackmail by Sky to get more subscriptions?

So those of us with non subscription boxes who do not wish to pay to view
ITV/Ch4/Five will have to get Terrestrial digi ( if available) or go back to
analogue.

Surely the Government will not be helped in the change to digital by this.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 14th 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Bill Bennett wrote:

So even my BBC Card with a Sky logo and pic of a house on it wont
work?

That sounds like a series 2 (issued after Feb 2003) If so then it is
thought that these cards will continue to receive ITV-1, C4 and C5 until
such time as they are replaced by series 3 cards.
Old July 14th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Fawthrop

Default Write to your MP Was: Ch4 to cease digital transmission on Sky.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:07:19 +0100, "harrogate"
wrote:

| "David" wrote in message
|
| "Dom Robinson" wrote in message
| In article ,
| says...
| Watching Ch4 on my non subscription Sky digibox tonight got an on
| screen
| message saying this transmission will cease soon.
|
| And which card do you have? V1 or V2? Kinda an important omission.
| --

| card.
| the only difference I can see to the 'BBC' ftv cards is the telephone
| number.
| --
| Regards,
| David
|
| Please reply to News Group.
|

| From reading this ng it is not that Ch4 is to cease transmission from Sky
| digi, but rather that it will stay on Sky and that the ftv cards will cease.
| As the BBC is moving to Astra 2D and will be 'free' there is no need to have
| an active card - but if your card is not active you cannot get ITV/4/5.
| Thencefoward the only active Sky card will be a subscription card, so if you
| don't have a current Sky subscription ITV/4/5 will cease.

As Letters to MPs, as evidenced by a different thread have *some* effect,
and this has been announced on screen, those affected would be well advised
to write to their MPs. This will at minimum remind the government that
this is a problem.

Dave Fawthrop Reading threads which are both
bottom and top posted is a pain in the *rs*. Posts should be trimmed
and bottom posted.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-information.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
Old July 15th 03, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Dann

snip

| From reading this ng it is not that Ch4 is to cease transmission from

Sky
| digi, but rather that it will stay on Sky and that the ftv cards will

cease.
| As the BBC is moving to Astra 2D and will be 'free' there is no need to

have
| an active card - but if your card is not active you cannot get ITV/4/5.
| Thencefoward the only active Sky card will be a subscription card, so if

you
| don't have a current Sky subscription ITV/4/5 will cease.

As Letters to MPs, as evidenced by a different thread have *some* effect,
and this has been announced on screen, those affected would be well

advised
to write to their MPs. This will at minimum remind the government that
this is a problem.

Dave Fawthrop Reading threads which are both
bottom and top posted is a pain in the *rs*. Posts should be trimmed
and bottom posted. http://www.usenet.org.uk/usenet-information.html
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

I thought ex-sub sky cards would continue to work? This is mentioned on the
BBC web site (see post further down re this subject matter)

Mike.

Old July 15th 03, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Mike Dann wrote:

I thought ex-sub sky cards would continue to work? This is mentioned
on the BBC web site (see post further down re this subject matter)

Only if they are series 2 (dark blue with a yellow house). Therefore recently
issued, after Jan 2003.