Second reply from BBC regard lack of DTT

Old July 13th 03, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lakeuk

Default Second reply from BBC regard lack of DTT

Below is the second reply I received via my local MP to a question I had on
why the local transmitter can't have digital.

Dear Mr ******
Please find enclosed a further letter from the BBC regarding the
availability of digital services in South Lakeland. This sadly does not
appear to take us much further.
I still remain dissatisfied at the current situation in which most people in
South Lakeland are being compelled to pay for BBC services which they cannot
receive.
Please rest assured I will seek to apply further pressure to both the
Government and the BBC to correct this blatant unfairness.
Yours Tim Collins MP

Mr Tim Collins CBE NIP
House of Commons
LONDON
SW1A 0AA
Dear Tim
Thank you for your letter of 31st May, previously acknowledged, enclosing an
e-mail from your constituent, Mr *** ****** of Kendal, Cumbria, about the
availability of our digital services in his area.

I am glad Mr ****** is interested in receiving our new channels and sorry
that he cannot do so via an existing aerial, because his area is currently
not served by Freeview. Though Freeview can be received in three in every
four homes in the UK, this service must share the same band of frequencies
as conventional analogue television, and it has only been possible to
achieve the current level of coverage by extremely careful use of the
limited frequencies available. Very few further transmitters can be equipped
to deliver digital services whilst the existing analogue network remains in
operation.

In planning the distribution of our new services, we arranged UK-wide
availability at the outset, on at least one "platform", or distribution
system, to ensure universal access. As well as Freeview, our digital
services can be received throughout the UK via satellite. All our channels
are also carried on cable services, where these exist. These options enable
all our licence-payers to take up our digital services when they feel ready
to do so.

The satellite option gives viewers direct access to all our digital channels
and radio services, using a set-top box and receiving dish, but without a
continuing subscription. We intend that our new digital services will soon
be broadcast in the clear, eliminating the need for a decryption card. This
will bring a benefit to all our licence-payers, in savings on the encryption
fees we previously paid to BSkyB. Funds released will enable viewers to see
all our regional services via satellite as well as funding the production of
new programmes.
The Government is aiming for a full switch-over from analogue to digital
television by 2010, subject to key conditions being met. It has established
a Digital Television Action Plan, a major project managed jointly by the DTI
and DCMS involving all stakeholders in the digita1 future. The Plan includes
developing a range of coverage and transition plans for DTT, key elements of
which will emerge towards the end of the year.

For more detailed advice, I recommend that Mr ****** contacts BBC Reception
Advice by telephoning 08700 100123. He will also find some useful background
information and answers to frequently asked questions on our website,
www.bbc.co.uk/digitaI
I hope my letter will enable you to respond to Mr ******. I enclose a copy
for you to forward to him, should you wish to do so.

Yours sincerely

Greg Dyke

Old July 13th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Lakeuk" wrote in message

Yours sincerely

Greg Dyke

My god, there must be some form of telepathic connection to Martyn Culling.

Az.
Old July 13th 03, 07:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lakeuk

"Aztech" wrote in message
"Lakeuk" wrote in message

Yours sincerely

Greg Dyke

My god, there must be some form of telepathic connection to Martyn

Culling.

Az.

I wondered whether is was really his signature or whether it just a PA's

Dave

Old July 13th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Some bloke" wrote in message
"Lakeuk" wrote
I still remain dissatisfied at the current situation in which most

people
in
South Lakeland are being compelled to pay for BBC services which they

cannot
receive.

The BBC reply already states you can get all of the BBC's TV and radio
services on Digital Satellite - and all Free To Air. You'd pay 99 for a
Freeview box and maybe 50 for an aerial upgrade on top. A dish wouldn't
cost more.

Sorry, but I think it's a bit heavy handed of you to go through your MP

just
because you don't have DTT coverage yet.

I suppose the BBC thought the fair system was to have a seperate digital
licence, and we all know who scuppered that.

Old July 13th 03, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lakeuk

The BBC reply already states you can get all of the BBC's TV and radio
services on Digital Satellite - and all Free To Air. You'd pay 99 for a
Freeview box and maybe 50 for an aerial upgrade on top. A dish wouldn't
cost more.

Sorry, but I think it's a bit heavy handed of you to go through your MP

just
because you don't have DTT coverage yet.

But I have to agree to be connected to the phone line for 12 months

Dave

Old July 13th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Lakeuk" wrote

http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_o...id=1&subcat=14

Old July 13th 03, 08:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Some bloke

"Lakeuk" wrote
But I have to agree to be connected to the phone line for 12 months

No, you most certainly don't. If you buy the receiving equipment yourself,
you don't need to.

1) Buy a second-hand Sky digibox from eBay - I've seen several for less than
50.

2) Then find a reputable satellite installer to come and install a dish on
your house and connect it to your digibox. You could consult the
Confederation of Aerial Industries website at http://www.cai.org.uk.

3) Turn on your digibox, and voila all BBC services free.

Because of very recent changes to viewing cards, unfortunately you will have
to subscribe to a basic Sky package to receive ITV1, C4 and C5. This is
rather unfortunate, however this is a matter you should take up with these
channels and not the BBC.

Old July 14th 03, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
DAB sounds worse than FM

Lakeuk wrote:
The BBC reply already states you can get all of the BBC's TV and
radio services on Digital Satellite - and all Free To Air. You'd
pay 99 for a Freeview box and maybe 50 for an aerial upgrade on
top. A dish wouldn't cost more.

Sorry, but I think it's a bit heavy handed of you to go through your
MP just because you don't have DTT coverage yet.

But I have to agree to be connected to the phone line for 12 months

If you're talking about Sky installing it for you for 120 without a
subscription then it's an 0800 number that the box dials and the satellite
only instructs your digibox to dial when the line's not busy and it'll
probably be in the middle of the night, so basically it doesn't affect you
in any way.

For 120 you get to keep the satellite receiver, satellite dish, and they
even install it for you. And for 120 you get far more TV channels and radio
stations than on Freeview (admittedly ITV2 is missing, but it's crap, and
there's a couple of others missing from Freeview but you basically get
different ones on free-to-air digital satellite). Also, the audio quality of
the radio stations on digital satellite is far higher than they are on DAB.
See a list of what you get he

http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm

--
DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, Digital Satellite and Cable --
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

BBC DAB is a national disgrace
Subscribe for free to the Digital Radio Listeners' Group Newsletter

Old July 14th 03, 07:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote
in message

For 120 you get to keep the satellite receiver, satellite dish, and they
even install it for you. And for 120 you get far more TV channels and

radio
stations than on Freeview (admittedly ITV2 is missing, ......

Are you sure you get ITV/Ch4/Five???

On one of my non subscription Sky box I'm getting the on screen message this
station will cease soon, from Sky.
--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 14th 03, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian McIlwrath

David wrote:
: Are you sure you get ITV/Ch4/Five???

: On one of my non subscription Sky box I'm getting the on screen message this
: station will cease soon, from Sky.

Could be related to the imminent changeover to Sky V2 cards?