2nd pace Ntl set top box ?

Old July 13th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Karisto

Default 2nd pace Ntl set top box ?

Looking for a little advice please. I recently have changed over to Ntl
digital television and broadband. I had analogue with them for years, 1 set
top box downstairs and a box I bought privately upstairs.

My main digital box is downstairs and runs the putter as well, what I want
advise on is , If I buy another digital set top box privately will it be
compatible and work ok, as I don't fancy having to rent another box off them
at 15 a month :-(

And if getting another box, is there anything else parts etc that I would
need, beside the remote, mains cable etc, would I need another card or could
I just use my card from downstairs and pop it into the second set top box ?

Sorry for acting like a dumb blond guys :-) but I was used to my analogue
and only had the digital a few days, still learning ...:-)

Any advise gratefully received :-)

--
Cheers
Karen

--

---

Old July 13th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PJB

"Karisto" wrote in message
Looking for a little advice please. I recently have

changed over to Ntl
digital television and broadband. I had analogue with

them for years, 1 set
top box downstairs and a box I bought privately upstairs.

My main digital box is downstairs and runs the putter as

well, what I want
advise on is , If I buy another digital set top box

privately will it be
compatible and work ok, as I don't fancy having to rent

another box off them
at 15 a month :-(

Assuming you could buy a box privately, it will probably
need activating from their end, just a guess, mind ;-) I
know they use a seperate feed from the street cab for each
box, and fone lines.

And if getting another box, is there anything else parts

etc that I would
need, beside the remote, mains cable etc, would I need

another card or could
I just use my card from downstairs and pop it into the

second set top box ?

they don't use cards, $ky do, but not NTL. Another reason
the box probably needs activating.

Sorry for acting like a dumb blond guys :-) but I was

used to my analogue
and only had the digital a few days, still learning ...:-)

Welcome to the wonderful, expensive, world of NTL Digital
;-)

P.

Old July 13th 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate

"PJB" wrote in message

"Karisto" wrote in message
[...]

No, you can have two boxes off one cable but they are independently
addressed.

--
Woody

Old July 13th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vic

" they don't use cards, $ky do, but not NTL.
Of course they use cards! But they are paired to the box i.e. you can't take
a card from one box and expect it to work in another.........
( If you look at your box you will possibly see an empty card slot but if
you open the flap, all will be revealed! )

Old July 13th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QrizB

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:46:03 +0100, "Karisto"
wrote:

My main digital box is downstairs and runs the putter as well, what I want
advise on is , If I buy another digital set top box privately will it be
compatible and work ok, as I don't fancy having to rent another box off them
at 15 a month :-(

If you buy another box, it's probably been stolen from ntl (as, AFAIK,
they're not generally available to the public).

And it probably won't work unless you get ntl to activate it, at which
time they'll (a) want to charge you and (b) want their box back ...

--
QrizB

be fooled.