Budget widescreen TV

Old July 13th 03, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dean Edwards

Default Budget widescreen TV

It's time to get a new TV and I wasn't initially thinking of going
widescreen. Then I checked online retailers and saw that the number of
widescreen models outnumbers traditional format TV's, so decided to take the
plunge.

I'd like to use it with a freeview STB so presumably I need RGB SCART input
to get best results. Apart from that I don't think connectivity is an issue
for me.

So far I have considered models from LG, Beko, Samsung, Thomson, but reading
the specs doesn't really help me differentiate between them. There don't
seem to be any detailed or impartial reviews for the lower end of the
market.

Which budget widescreens, about 28" and under 300 stand out, especially in
terms of picture quality?

Many thanks

Old July 13th 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wrightsaerials

I've seen Beko and Schneider sets perform very badly.
Bill

Laugh at our Rogue's Gallery
Admire the antiquities in Albert's Attic
Marvel at our breathtaking Aerial Photography
All anoraks MUST visit
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/index.html
Old July 13th 03, 03:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
QrizB

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:00:57 +0100, Dean Edwards
wrote:

Which budget widescreens, about 28" and under 300 stand out, especially in
terms of picture quality?

Further to Bill's comment, my Bush is tolerable, but the geometry
needs a tweak and the PSU regulation isn't up to much (bright objects
on the screen make the picture narrower).

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old July 13th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Dean Edwards" wrote in message

[...]

28" is a bit small. Why not try Radio Rentals (or ANO) for a 1 year old ex
rental set. You should get a larger screen and a bit of warranty.

Old July 14th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected] (>>sPoNiX

wrote:

It's time to get a new TV and I wasn't initially thinking of going
widescreen. Then I checked online retailers and saw that the number of
widescreen models outnumbers traditional format TV's, so decided to take the
plunge.

I'd like to use it with a freeview STB so presumably I need RGB SCART input
to get best results. Apart from that I don't think connectivity is an issue
for me.

So far I have considered models from LG, Beko, Samsung, Thomson, but reading
the specs doesn't really help me differentiate between them. There don't
seem to be any detailed or impartial reviews for the lower end of the
market.

Which budget widescreens, about 28" and under 300 stand out, especially in
terms of picture quality?

Before you buy a widescreen set the telly to 4:3 mode and watch the
vertical edges of the picture..do not buy unless you are totally
happy.

I'd suggest that a large screen 28" or 32" 4:3 telly set to 16:9 mode
represents better value.

It'll still give you a reasonable sized 16:9 picture but will be much
better quality and will cost less to boot.

sPoNiX
Old July 14th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Edward Holt

[...]

Bargain HiFi - are doing a Sony 28" for 399 if you can stretch to that -
that's about half what it originally retailed for.

http://www.bargainhifi.com/acatalog/...Offers_58.html

Old July 14th 03, 10:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark S

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sony is good (well - at that price - normally they are too expensive for
what you get in my opinion). I'm quite a fan of Thomson stuff.

Old July 14th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dean Edwards

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:16:10 +0100, Edward Holt wrote:

"Dean Edwards" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks Edward, that looks like a good deal if I may go the extra 100 (if
allowed ;-).

thanks all for the suggestions.
cheers

Old July 14th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Simon Slavin

In article ,
Dean Edwards wrote:

I'd like to use it with a freeview STB so presumably I need RGB SCART input
to get best results. Apart from that I don't think connectivity is an issue
for me.

You don't need a TV at all. You don't need a tuner because you
have a set top box. You don't need audio because you can plug
your set top box into your stereo. You just need a flat panel
display. That should be far cheaper than a widescreen TV.