RF loop through

Old October 28th 03, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
paul.bennett

Default RF loop through

can anyone tell me what R/F Loop-through means. i'm thinking of having
Freeview and wonder what all the different terms and features mean. is it
necessary to have 2 scart connections as i record a lot of stuff to watch
later because of shift work. is there a site that will tell me what i need
to look for?

paul

Old October 28th 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sebby

paul.bennett wrote:

can anyone tell me what R/F Loop-through means. i'm thinking of having
Freeview and wonder what all the different terms and features mean. is it
necessary to have 2 scart connections as i record a lot of stuff to watch
later because of shift work. is there a site that will tell me what i need
to look for?

I'm not very experienced with the technical side of things, but I think (and
hope) this is right.

RF loop through is where the box has an RF modulator built in. What this
means is that the box will convert the scart output to traditional RF. If
you want to be able to record off of the Freeview box, then you will need RF
loop-through capability.

As for the 2 scarts - it is not essential, but if you wish to connect up a
DVD player or a VCR via scart, then it is useful.

I would recommend the new Pace DTR210F. The has a built-in RF modulator and
2 scart sockets, for just 69.95 from Empire Direct
(http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/produc...C-DTR210T.htm). It really is
an excellent box.

Old October 28th 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
harrogate

"Sebby" wrote in message
. ..
paul.bennett wrote:

[...]

No, not quite.

RF loop-through means that you don't need a splitter to feed the signal to
the DTTV and to the TV: the signal goes into the DTTV box as the first item
in the chain, then comes out again unchanged to feed (usually) the video
which also has a loop-through to feed the TV.

Some boxes - Daewoo, Labgear, Traix (which are all basically the same,) the
new Pioneer, and the up-market Ferguson, Grundig, and Bush(?) have a
modulator (with mono sound) so that people who have older TV's or videos
that don't have SCART or other video/audio input connections, or that don't
want the hassle of SCART selection, can use the box. This is significant for
older people who have considerable difficulty making the right selections -
as I found out with some elderly friends.

You can survive with a single SCART and use an external SCART 'multiplier'
box, but two SCARTs is better. It will allow you to record in quality and
stereo whilst watching another channel - that is digital/analogue or
analogue/digital. You cannot watch two DTTV progs at once without two boxes.

Pace is good kit, once it has had time to settle down and get debugged. Look
seriously at the new Pioneer and the Philips, both of which do a good job
and are quick. If you have signal strength problems then look at the
Daewoo/Labgera/Triax with SetPal which certainly helps.

--
Woody

Old October 29th 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy McKenzie

"harrogate" wrote in message

"Sebby" wrote in message
. ..
paul.bennett wrote:

[...]

Another advantage of an RF Modulator rather than just pass through is that I
can send the output of the box to an upstairs TV. As the probability of
there being two interesting programs on different digital only channels in
one evening is vanishingly small this works well for me.

Old October 30th 03, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
toller

"Andy McKenzie" wrote in message ...
"harrogate" wrote in message

"Sebby" wrote in message
. ..
paul.bennett wrote:

can anyone tell me what R/F Loop-through means. i'm thinking of having
Freeview and wonder what all the different terms and features mean.

Another advantage of an RF Modulator rather than just pass through is that I
can send the output of the box to an upstairs TV. As the probability of
there being two interesting programs on different digital only channels in
one evening is vanishingly small this works well for me.

For your main TV which the STB is connected to, use the scart - most
TV's support RGB over the scart connection, and this is far superior
picture quality to PAL (RF). If you don't want to watch digital TV in
another room in the house, and your VCR has a scart input (are there
any which don't?) then an RF modulator is not an issue. In this case,
I'd certainly recommend the Sony VTXD800U
(http://www.npe.sony.co.uk/), which has had very good reviews.

NOTE: If you happen to have bought an STB without an RF modulator, and
do want to send the feed to another room in your house, you may be
able to use your VCR to do so (if it has an RF modulator, which 99%
do) - connect the STB to the VCR via scart, and select the scart input
channel on the VCR - if your VCR has an RF modulator, then the STB
picture can be viewed on any TV connected to the RF output from the
VCR :-)
Old October 30th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Porcella

"paul.bennett" wrote in message
can anyone tell me what R/F Loop-through means.

I am guessing that it means that rather than getting superior pictures and
sound using a SCART lead and socket, that if your telly is very old and does
not have a SCART connection, or you do not have a SCART lead, then you can
get a more basic connection using an RF lead.

i'm thinking of having
Freeview and wonder what all the different terms and features mean. is it
necessary to have 2 scart connections

I need two to connect up my DTT decoder, TV and video.

as i record a lot of stuff to watch
later because of shift work. is there a site that will tell me what i need
to look for?

The instructions that come with the decoder should tell you all you need to
know.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old October 30th 03, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim Mitchell

In article , John Porcella
writes

"paul.bennett" wrote in message
can anyone tell me what R/F Loop-through means.

I am guessing that it means that rather than getting superior pictures and
sound using a SCART lead and socket, that if your telly is very old and does
not have a SCART connection, or you do not have a SCART lead, then you can
get a more basic connection using an RF lead.

No, you are guessing wrong. It just means that rather than having to
split your TV aerial signal to the box and to your VCR/TV or whatever,
the aerial signal passes through the box and can be looped through to
the VCR/TV.

Some boxes have an RF modulator in addition, this is what you said
above, lets you view the Digital TV via the aerial socket if you don't
have SCART, or if you are too technologically challenged to be able to
select the AV inputs.
--
Tim Mitchell