Variable freeview quality

Old July 13th 03, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

Default Variable freeview quality

Hi,

I've just got round to buying a Sony widescreen and Nokia freeview decoder
(T221 I think). I knew there were limitations to the freeview service
(picture quality) so expected it to be a little rough around the edges.

What confuses me is that some times, like lasts nights broadcast of the
'U-571' film on BBC 1 picture quality was quite good (not far from DVD
quality) and today on the average Sunday BBC 1 programme quality is far
reduced.

I assume this is because they can switch the bandwidth provided to each
channel as they see fit, can anyone confirm this?

Also, if there is some further reading on this subject I'd appreciate a
link.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Old July 13th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris

However, BBC1 is always transmitted at a fixed bitrate because of how it
must handle regional opt-outs, and so in this case it might be another
factor.

Really - that's interesting. I was messing around with the TV about an hour
ago - 'the Politics Show' was on BBC 1. It was noticeably rough, the kind of
image you get when the bandwidth is not quite enough for the picture.

Could it be something to do with how the source is recorded then?
Could it possibly be reception / signal strength at the moment - high
pressure??

Fast-moving sports footage always tends to look better on analogue than
digital.

Yes, i've experienced this - too much of the screen changing all the time,
but that's 'fine' as I expected that when I bought the box.

Thanks for the feedback...

Old July 13th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Angove

In message ,
"Some bloke" wrote:

"Chris" wrote
I assume this is because they can switch the bandwidth provided to each
channel as they see fit, can anyone confirm this?

It is true that on digital, the bitrate of each channel can be adjusted and
this has a direct consequence on how good the picture looks.

However, BBC1 is always transmitted at a fixed bitrate because of how it
must handle regional opt-outs, and so in this case it might be another
factor.

That depends on where he lives - while this is certainly the case in
England, I was under the impression that Wales, Scotland and N.I. took
"high rate" feeds of BBC1 from London and then produced a local
multiplex with all channels variable (statistically multiplexed).

Fast-moving sports footage always tends to look better on analogue than
digital.

Fast movement, poor quality original, certain effects, they all gobble
up bits like nobody's business. I don't watch sport (except F1) but find
gardening programmes a nightmare.

Also, when the "interactive" channels (701, 702) are broadcast,
presumably they steal bits from whichever multiplex they're on too.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Old July 13th 03, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan

In message , Martin Angove
wrote

Fast movement, poor quality original, certain effects, they all gobble
up bits like nobody's business. I don't watch sport (except F1) but find
gardening programmes a nightmare.

At times the quality can be very poor, however in general it's a lot
better than I can get on analogue with so many high buildings nearby.
The worst program that I've seen recently was Startrek on BBC2, I assume
that it was because the scenes were "dark" on poor quality film stock

I note that the BBC don't actually advertise that the quality may be
degraded when they advertise all their new channels

--
Alan

Old July 16th 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David van Kemenade

"Alan" wrote in message
I note that the BBC don't actually advertise that the quality may be
degraded when they advertise all their new channels

I note they don't actually advertise that the quality is way better either.

David