Freeview - Can't Receive BBC etc.

Old July 12th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Jenkins

Default Freeview - Can't Receive BBC etc.

Hello

I have just set up a Freeview box (BUSH 50 quid Makro special) and am
having a slight problem with it. Apologies if these questions have been
answered a million times, feel free to point me to an FAQ.

I tried the box with the existing rooftop aerial and could get a few
channels, Freeview website says I will probably need a new aerial. Fair
enough, I get and install a 19 element Wideband aerial and the analog TV
signal is as close to perfection as I have seen. I plug in the Freeview
box and retune, now I can get all channels except the ones sitting on
MUX 1 16 QAM (BBC 1, 2, etc) - they don't appear at all in the channel
list.

Would there be a realistic chance of sorting this out by fiddling with
the aerial, buying a signal booster etc, or am I just out of luck with
these channels?

Thanks

--
Mike Jenkins
Dreamcast / Gamecube FAQs - http://www.washu.clara.net
Old July 12th 03, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin Angove

In message ,
(Mike Jenkins) wrote:

[...]

You'll probably find a lot of useful help here, but first we need to
know a: where *you* are, b: which transmitter you are receiving from
(or at least, which direction your aerial is pointing) c: what is the
state of the cable from the aerial (i.e. did you replace that at the
same time as the aerial?) and d: anything else you might think relevant
:-) For example, is the DTT box the first thing into which the aerial is
plugged? If it is not the first thing, is it possible that (say) your
video's output channel is the same as that of the BBC multiplex?

I don't claim to know a lot, but if you are receiving *all* the other
channels ok (in particular ITV, C4 and C5) then I would have thought it
was highly unusual not to be able to receive the BBC channels. Older
boxes have two "retuning" options. In a situation such as yours, if you
had an older box I would suggest using the "store channels" menu option
rather than "add channels", but I don't know if that is relevant for
your setup.

Others here will probably be a lot more help, particularly if you can
supply the extra information.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley --
Old July 12th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Jenkins

Martin Angove wrote:

In message ,
(Mike Jenkins) wrote:

[...]

I'm in Warsash, near Southampton.

b: which transmitter you are receiving from
(or at least, which direction your aerial is pointing)

Um. Not really sure, I think the aerial is pointing south east.

c: what is the
state of the cable from the aerial (i.e. did you replace that at the
same time as the aerial?)

I replaced it with shiny new cable as the old one was corroded and full
of water.

and d: anything else you might think relevant
:-) For example, is the DTT box the first thing into which the aerial is
plugged? If it is not the first thing, is it possible that (say) your
video's output channel is the same as that of the BBC multiplex?

I ran the cable straight from the aerial into the box, so there is
nothing in the way. It's a very bog standard setup as far as I can see.

I don't claim to know a lot, but if you are receiving *all* the other
channels ok (in particular ITV, C4 and C5) then I would have thought it
was highly unusual not to be able to receive the BBC channels. Older
boxes have two "retuning" options. In a situation such as yours, if you
had an older box I would suggest using the "store channels" menu option
rather than "add channels", but I don't know if that is relevant for
your setup.

The manual for the box is less than exhaustive, it just says to do
automatic tuning which I did. ITV1, 2, C4 and C5 all seem to work fine
(although I did get a slight picture breakup on ITV1) as do the others
it has picked up.

Thanks for your help.

Old July 12th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
jolly green giant

Your aerial is probably pointing at Rowbridge (13 miles south of you).

From Rowbridge BBC mux 1 is on channel 23 and BBC2 analogue is on
channel 24 (the itv mux is on channel 52). So if you receive BBC2
analogue well you should be really be receiving BBC mux 1 okay.
Interfernce from elsewhere could be the problem.

You could try pointing your aerial in a different direction see link
below for a list of transmitters in your vicinity and their directions
from Warsash.

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd....=L&OS=SU495061

JGG

Old July 12th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Aztech

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message

I replaced it with shiny new cable as the old one was corroded and full
of water.

Does shiny new quality as CT100 spec? It seems pedantic but you need decently
shielded cable.

Az.

Old July 13th 03, 07:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AWM

"Mike Jenkins" wrote in message
news:1fy00ow.je59oq1cezo1sN%[email protected] .com...
Hello

I have just set up a Freeview box (BUSH 50 quid Makro special) and am
having a slight problem with it. Apologies if these questions have been
answered a million times, feel free to point me to an FAQ.

I tried the box with the existing rooftop aerial and could get a few
channels, Freeview website says I will probably need a new aerial. Fair
enough, I get and install a 19 element Wideband aerial and the analog TV
signal is as close to perfection as I have seen. I plug in the Freeview
box and retune, now I can get all channels except the ones sitting on
MUX 1 16 QAM (BBC 1, 2, etc) - they don't appear at all in the channel
list.

How close are you to the transmitter ? your digital box actually needs a
lower gain signal than the analogue tv/video but it needs good recption free
from interference and reflected signals. In my area 14 miles from a powerful
transmitter I can actually get digital on an indoor aerial. The obvious
things apply -- a dodgey aerial flylead, dopwn lead or socket can throw a
spanner in the works.
If your aerial flylead runs through the VCR before going to the digi box try
running it straight from the outlet to the digi box, if that dosen't work as
a test try borrowing an indoor aerial -- if either of these work you could
try using an in-line attenuator (as sold by Maplin).

On the otherhand if you have a weak signal try a cheap aerial booster, the
Slx2 as sold by my local ASDS for arond 7 quid isn't bad as these things go.