Showing results 1 to 25 of 106
Search took 7.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 25th 18, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 91
C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

As I understand it all live races will only be on Sky from 2019.
However, there is a highlights only package which as far as I
know hasn't been picked up by anyone yet.* This could still...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 22nd 18, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 91
C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

I for one am most unlikely to watch Formula 1 on SD, indeed I
view it much less since it fragmented. Above all I am not going
to pay scumbag Murdochs to do so.

Sky used Formula 1 to promote...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 22nd 18, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 91
C4 HD to leave Freesat on Thur 22nd Feb

absolutely right Bill, sky have queered the pitch so to speak,
why should they have access to all the HD channels

Simply because Sky has revenue of a few billion pounds a year to spend...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 8th 18, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

I can see what you mean. I can only answer from our own
experience during the month or so when we had Sky Q. We had the
main box (with the 1Tb HD) and one mini-box, located almost
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 6th 18, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

The appeal of Sky Q for us is just the ability to record 6 things
at once
You could surely get six Sky Q mini-boxes?

Do you know that for a fact?

The Sky Q 2TB box supports two Sky Q...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

You've obviously managed better then I to get some facts out of
Sky, thanks.

Just a customer, looking at what I pay.

There appears to be two main Sky Q boxes, one with 1TB and the
other...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

I thought there was extra subscription to pay per mini q box

No extra subscription.

Angus
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

You simply buy one or two Sky Q Mini wifi boxes

Is that actually buy (as in you own it) or a one of payment for
them to lend you one?

Sorry, should have said rent/lent, Sky wants all Q...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

The main difficulty is that the Q box has no analog output,
meaning that there is no way to copy out onto a DVD-R or even a
VHS tape.

The Sky Q Mini box does have analog output on a...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 3rd 18, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 113
Why do people buy 2nd hand Sky boxes?

Sky Q was quoted as being 12.50 per month

Effectively this is the second satellite box price and/or the old HD price. If
you are paying both, Sky Q is actually cheaper.

Then there is the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 12th 17, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 27
Blue Planet II Comes To iPlayer In 4K HDR

Blue Planet had a few lies in it.

Indeed, such as the plastic ducks they filmed that looked fresh from
the factory, and not subject to 20 years of exposure to sea water and
sun which bleaches...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 6th 17, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 27
Blue Planet II Comes To iPlayer In 4K HDR

The web site says that it will be available on iPlayer
immediately after the final episode on Sunday.

Which is seven weeks too late, since most people will have already
watched it in HD, too...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 21st 17, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

I tried one (or the two units) - the signal was still scrambled
and unwatchable.

Legally according to the HDMI license, they can not sell HDMI to
composite converters that decode HDCP content. ...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

Sky Q (I had it but cancelled it and reverted to Sky+HD) would be
perfect if the main box had an analog output (SCART or phono) for
inpout into a DVD-recorder.

You can buy HDMI to composite...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
sky fitters and roofs

No doubt lots of sucking of teeth and elf'n'safety excuses.
So, why /does/ he have a roof ladder on his van?

I had a new Sky Q dish installed on my chimney by a single Sky
installer last year,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 4th 17, 09:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

There's no problem equipping a house for satellite reception and
recording in every location required.

Perhaps, but putting pairs of satellite coaxes into several rooms is
not as cheap or as...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 4th 17, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

Why don;t more people use Freesat, which has none of the problems
Freeview users report?

Practicality, I have TV sets in four rooms in the house, but satellite
leads (eight) in only one.

But...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 3rd 17, 03:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

That wasn't the problem, the problem was rain fade on their
uplink site at Winchester, it knocked out the feed nationally.

There must have been heavy rain in both Winchester and Croydon,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 3rd 17, 11:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

Does anyone know why analogue Channel 5 used Croydon instead of
Crystal palace for the London area? Wasn't there enough room on
the tower for the aerial? Did it cause any problems for those...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 2nd 17, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 54
Croydon

Not recently, but in the analogue days lots of ghosting issues as
I recall. Its not that far from Crystal Palace after all,
probably still has lots of tower blocks as well.

The Croydon (Old...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 26th 17, 07:20 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 109
BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

What is needed is SD-to-HD converters which are only switched
into circuit when there is no regional HD feed.

You are talking about terrestrial distribution, that has never really
been a...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 26th 17, 05:37 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 109
BBC regional news in HD - surely its about time this happened?

IIRC it's because of the cost of upgrading the regions and the
added complexity in coding all the muxes. Funny thing is ITV
manage to do it. Is this because there are fewer ITV regions
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 24th 17, 01:58 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 39
OT the telephone network

I think Angus readily admits the cabinet 'locations' are just
centres of postcode areas because the BT data he works from doesn't provide actual locations, so for guidance only ...

Indeed,...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 24th 17, 08:54 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 39
OT the telephone network

Does anyone know where I can find a map showing where all the
phone lines go; the routes from the exchanges to the premises
and/or the streetboxes?

BT Openreach has such an online map,...
Forum: uk.tech.tv.sky (Sky Television) September 7th 17, 06:47 PM Posted to uk.tech.tv.sky
Replies: 3
sky store film downloading by itself?

Does the Sky box download random films on the off chance I might
want them?

These internet downloads are a reasonably modern concept, Sky has been
running overnight Sky Anytime satellite...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 106