Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.35 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul D.Smith
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 13th 09, 07:29 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul D.Smith
More Roberts WM-202 impressions

"André Coutanche" wrote in message
Paul D.Smith wrote:
How far do you get? Can you see anything? Does it report a
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 13th 09, 07:27 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul D.Smith
More Roberts WM-202 impressions

I can recommend an old XBox converted to a Linux/Samba NAS - and you can
host websites or do whatever else you want from Linux.

If you're interested, I followed a set of articles on Toms Networting...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 11th 09, 01:47 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 31
Posted By Paul D.Smith
OT. Radio during WW2?

....snip...

I have got my hands on an old Murphy and it is a 1947 one and a not quite
as old GEC with small valves.
I'm going to play my ww2 music etc from my CD walkman via an amplifier
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 5th 09, 03:10 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 61
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Reggie Perrin remake

....snip...

For all I know, the new series might be quite good. However the canned
laughter
did it for me. Three minutes, then I gave up on it.

At least once M*A*S*H was shown with the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 22nd 09, 12:59 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Frustration beyond belief

"J G Miller" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:04:24 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

Now original "off" (0) + multipath "on" (80%)...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 22nd 09, 08:04 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Frustration beyond belief

....snip...
My Mendip signal sufferers from multipath, especially in rainy windy
conditions when one can actually see the signal level and ghosting varying
up and down, however this doesn't...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 21st 09, 01:18 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 21
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Frustration beyond belief

....snip...

Haven't got one of those amplified thingimies have you? Perhaps you're
getting TOO MUCH signal and what you're actually doing is finding the place
in the room where the signal is...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) April 16th 09, 11:51 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 41
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Freeview blowing crt sets ?

....snip...

I've had a old Sony "die" from dry joints. A local repair shop fixed it for
about 50quid.

Paul DS.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) March 25th 09, 04:16 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 61
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Digital switch over query

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
Steve Terry wrote...

Internet radio is so cheap by comparison

Lets...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 17th 09, 11:40 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 201
Posted By Paul D.Smith
examples of digital rip-off

It would be more of a tech design job but if you collected enough of the
same types it might be worth try to source updates or even paying a
software company to do the work (mind you.. hmm...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 27th 09, 07:37 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 23
Posted By Paul D.Smith
warranties

....snip...

It isn't easy to prove that one particular type is reliable, because the
models change so quickly!

As an example I program computers. My employers have been through a number
of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 13th 09, 12:11 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Freeview+ expletive deleted

....snip...

I'm not sure what those EIT timestamps you mention mean but if you are
suggesting that the EPG times should be obeyed then I'm not sure I agree.
The point of using the running...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 13th 09, 07:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Freeview+ expletive deleted

....snip...

Humax refuse to acknowledge that they could rewrite the software to cure
the problem, insisting they have done it correctly. I understand that the
later Freeview and Freesat...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 12th 09, 11:56 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Freeview+ expletive deleted

"Dickie mint" wrote in message
Paul D.Smith wrote:
I like to watch the local news so I set Freeview+ to record...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 12th 09, 10:03 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Freeview+ expletive deleted

I like to watch the local news so I set Freeview+ to record it. On Sunday
it faithfully recorded a trailor for a BBC drame and the first couple of
minutes of the Antiques Roadshow - but no...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 7th 09, 07:36 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 19
Posted By Paul D.Smith
Is this standard aerial rigging practice? Update (FTAO Bill)

....snip...

From your POV what are the pros and cons of an outdoor cabinet
vs. loft installation in property like that.

Presumably there is loft access from within the building, possibly even...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 7th 09, 07:32 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC Test Card

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I think this is where we came in..
It was interesting to hear on LBC the other...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 10th 08, 04:12 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Erm, I have heard of paranoia, but this seems ridiculous. Surely, every
site knows...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 10th 08, 04:10 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

You can configure iPlayer to download but not allow uploads, i.e. non
P2P mode, in the advanced settings, or whatever they call it.

Oh err. Sounds very handy. Thanks for that.

Paul DS.
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 10th 08, 12:42 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

Me too and me neither - but your method is a little like Ann Widdecombe
bragging that she's never had and STD.

Interesting metaphor except inappropriate. I can "poke" known computers and
be...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 10th 08, 12:40 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

....snip...

Am I missing something here? (Probably, as I know very little about
iPlayer, and how it works)
I assume your 'precious' (not being sarcastic here) PC is already
connected to...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 10th 08, 07:33 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

....snip...

However - it does seem you are being overly cautious, presumably you are
behind a router (firewall #1) and you could put another firewall on the
PC, providing you configure them...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 9th 08, 04:17 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 42
Posted By Paul D.Smith
BBC iPlayer behind a firewall?

I am interested in using BBC iPlayer but I'm a paranoid git and don't want a
PC than can connect to the rest of the world on the same network as my home
PCs. So I was considering putting a...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 5th 08, 08:08 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 62
Posted By Paul D.Smith
PVRs - what's good at the moment?

Bomb proof is very important, as it very responsive. I can easily throw my
Humax off, including the following, which is very irritating.

- Whilst playing, there seems to be a "press play twice to...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 2nd 08, 07:42 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 49
Posted By Paul D.Smith
photographs of scant relevance

"Bill Wright" wrote in message