Showing results 1 to 25 of 137
Search took 27.67 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: hwh
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) June 2nd 10, 06:41 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Replies: 131
Posted By hwh
Digital radio switchover gets poor reception

On 6/2/10 8:17 PM, Woody wrote:
Band 2 has never been flogged off. Now Band 3 has been used for
PMR but with some serious limitations as most of our near
neighbours on the continent and in the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 25th 10, 08:42 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 131
Posted By hwh
Digital radio switchover gets poor reception

On 5/25/10 10:14 PM, Mark Carver wrote:
wrote:
Then, if the M1 was blocked at j29 say, like is often is,
I'd get advance warning and I could go via Chesterfield. Whereas...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 25th 10, 07:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 131
Posted By hwh
Digital radio switchover gets poor reception

On 5/25/10 9:02 PM, wrote:
I don't suppose you can
tell me why it is that traffic jams always happen when I'm in a
hurry?

:-) That is because at those times you...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) May 24th 10, 05:10 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Replies: 131
Posted By hwh
Digital radio switchover gets poor reception

On 5/24/10 5:26 PM, Petert wrote:
I used to get traffic reports for North Devon while driving along the
Gower Peninsula, in my last car (406 with FM radio), but get no
traffic reports at all...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) March 23rd 10, 03:35 PM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.radio.amateur
Replies: 33
Posted By hwh
Jeremy Vine FM switch-off debate today

On 3/23/10 3:35 AM, Stephen wrote:
There's an easy way of dealing wih the problem of pirate radio in London:
move the Wrotham transmitters to Crystal Palace.

There's no need for the main FM...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 20th 10, 05:54 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 15
Posted By hwh
New integrated FM and digital programme guide for next generationradios

Brian Gaff wrote:
What would you need one for fm for? Most of the commercials sound the same
all day as it is...
Brian

Because DAB will only reach 90% of the population? Or is it because it...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 09, 10:51 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue

Terry Casey wrote:
AFIAK no DTV STBs have any form of analogue by-pass.

I own one, a Humax 5050 (DVB-C). It has a hard disk recorder build-in.
The bypass facilitates the use of a TV set with...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 09, 07:29 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue OT

Terry Casey wrote:
For the benefit of anybody puzzled by the reference to S channels, this
refers to the 'Special' channels which covered the gaps between BI and
BII (I think these were only...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 09, 12:08 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue OT

Terry Casey wrote:
There is a major difference here between the Dutch and Belgian cable
networks and the situation in the UK.

On the continent, set top boxes were used in the early days due...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 09, 07:19 AM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue

m wrote:

Duncan Corps wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:49:00 +0000, Peter Duncanson wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:04:50 +0000, Duncan Corps

Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 30th 09, 05:20 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue

Terry Casey wrote:
hwh wrote:
Terry Casey wrote:
Apart from improved facilities and quality when the analogue STB is
replaced by a digital one, the customer will still get the same end...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 30th 09, 02:43 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

Terry Casey wrote:
Apart from improved facilities and quality when the analogue STB is
replaced by a digital one, the customer will still get the same end result!

I wonder why on earth you...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 30th 09, 11:49 AM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue

Mark Carver wrote:
J G Miller wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:25:24 +0000, Charles asked:

how do you think cable services get their signals?

Some cable companies get their signal for...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 15th 09, 06:32 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 110
Posted By hwh
Blank TV screens as cable firm ditches analogue

Mark Carver wrote:
tim.... wrote:

Why didn't they overlay a message in the broadcast channel that the
service was closing. Surely they have the capacity to do this?

Unlikely, unless...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 9th 09, 05:46 PM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 215
Posted By hwh
patronising digital advert

Ivan wrote:
I wouldn't mind betting that there are plenty of people in their
sixties' nudging seventies contributing to this newsgroup who wouldn't
mind a pound for every technical problem...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) August 18th 09, 04:22 PM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 241
Posted By hwh
You and Yours

Christopher Hunter wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:22:00 -0700, 2Bdecided wrote:

I think you're being a bit selective - the "much vaunted" 25 DAB radios
are junk too. The amplifier and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) August 5th 09, 04:34 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 39
Posted By hwh
DVB-T2 Freeview boxes to include VHF channels?

hwh wrote:
reslfj wrote:
On 31 Jul., 16:47, Mark Carver wrote:
I think only Jersey and Bristol-Filton airports are still using Ch 36 ?

Mark
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) August 5th 09, 04:20 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv

reslfj wrote:
On 31 Jul., 16:47, Mark Carver wrote:
I think only Jersey and Bristol-Filton airports are still using Ch 36 ?

Mark
www.paras.org.uk

The...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 28th 09, 03:49 PM Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 39
Posted By hwh
DVB-T2 Freeview boxes to include VHF channels?

Tony wrote:
AFAICR Italy and Germany are the only EU countries to use VHF on DTT,
everyone else has moved to UHF only.

Germany is replacing them by UHF channels as (the last) part of their...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 22nd 09, 03:13 PM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
DAB is taking off like a lead balloon, despite huge advertising
campaigns. People could...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 7th 09, 03:59 PM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

wrote:
But I am responding to the suggestion that DAB coverage can be
substantially improved by simply upping the power and tilting the
beam. As others have said this...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 7th 09, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

Roderick Stewart wrote:
In article , Hwh wrote:
As a general principle, just screwing up the power of a network is a
most inefficient method of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 5th 09, 11:39 AM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

Richard Evans wrote:
Graham. wrote:

In some situations you don't have the luxury of (near) instantaneous
talkback
The most extreme satellite delay I have heard was on last weeks BBC
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 5th 09, 11:32 AM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

wrote:
I think you will find that nearly all uhf tv transmitters have beam tilt.
Even main stations

A small amount. It doesn't help greatly with coordination (the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) July 5th 09, 11:28 AM Posted to alt.radio.digital,uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 318
Posted By hwh
No DAB reception in cars near BBC Television Centre!

charles wrote:
The range of a powerful signal can be limited by using a technique
called 'downtilt'. When a large aerial is used, it can be used to focus
the signal on a point not too...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 137