Showing results 1 to 25 of 482
Search took 0.41 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David Woolley[_2_]
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) March 2nd 18, 12:50 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 78
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Maplin RIP

On 02/03/18 11:56, Martin wrote:
I don't know. I used the local town hall for that. Local town hall also does
passports, ID cards and marriage birth, death certificates and driving licences.
UK...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 24th 18, 01:27 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 20
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Induction loops

On 24/02/18 11:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
One might imagine the
other cables like mains

Mains only causes a problem if the wiring is faulty. If the wiring is
intact, the loop is formed between the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 17th 18, 05:28 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 125
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Global positioning

On 16/02/18 17:01, Jim Lesurf wrote:
Well, it would be similar insanity to assume all the electrons emerging
from your wall socket came from the company who send you the quarterly
bill, green...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 16th 18, 11:58 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 125
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Global positioning

On 16/02/18 12:28, Barclay Weir wrote:
Yes - but don't ask how his "Green" energy supplier separates and
filters out the nuclear generated electricity from the wind generated
electricity...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) February 10th 18, 03:43 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Channel 20 Drama doesn't use whole screen

On 09/02/18 20:20, Chris Green wrote:
Programs (as opposed to adverts) on Drama (Channel 20, Freeview) don't
display full screen on our system. We have a pretty standard LG TV
with a Humax...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 28th 18, 08:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 32
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
How to identify a good (low-loss) aerial lead

On 27/01/18 21:00, NY wrote:
But how do you identify a good low-loss cable that doesn't attenuate the
signal anywhere across the UHF spectrum?

You don't, because there is no such beast! Even...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) January 4th 18, 05:01 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 12
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
iPlayer needs an aerial?

On 04/01/18 17:52, Bill Wright wrote:
Today we had a customer who said that iPlayer wouldn't work on his
Polaroid TV without an aerial being connected. Sceptical, we tried

iPlayer now needs an...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 31st 17, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 22
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Does any hardware still allow playing of CD video?

On 30/12/17 12:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a pc it shows up as a two track CD only, no video.

If the drive can rip audio, I imagine it can play VCDs. As I remember
it, the video is recorded with...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) December 26th 17, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 19
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Sorry your account is locked for 30 minutes

On 25/12/17 10:05, Martin wrote:
What's the point of locking your account for thirty minutes? Is it to stop a
bot trying to login to your account?

It's to avoid having to employ humans to...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 03:47 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
sky fitters and roofs

On 20/11/17 13:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Just poked my head out for a look and he's added a new dish on the
gable-end (pair of brackets, smaller than T&K, cranked out, then up,
then over, peeping...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 20th 17, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 16
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
sky fitters and roofs

On 20/11/17 14:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
No other solo installers that have visited the same chimney ever did
that

I think that is because of the Health and Safety, Small...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) November 1st 17, 10:45 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 73
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
MSF radio clocks.

On 31/10/17 19:31, Phil M wrote:
My pc with Win10 is, as far as I know, always correct and changed
automatically this Sunday. Just checked and is perfectly in sync with
my rds radio.

An...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 28th 17, 01:12 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 44
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
How many types of screens are there?

On 28/10/17 10:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
Some use leds,
some use lcds some use different methods of back lights

Unless you are talking large bill board system, LEDs are used to back
light LCDs, not...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 04:52 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 14:25, Bill Wright wrote:
It's unlikely to be a padded outlet system if the outlets are diplexed.
I don't think there's a product that does it.

I was assuming a previous...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 12:39 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:
DETA BEY 11 (may be BCY 11, very small print).

The current DETA catalogues are at
http://www.detaelectrical.co.uk/downloads. If you are very lucky, it...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 11:59 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:
carries Freeview, DAB and what looks like an old FM band3 (?) aerial

Band 3 is DAB. The older, FM system is band 2. (UHF TV is and 4 and 5.)
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 24th 17, 11:58 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Aerial Diplex Plate

On 24/10/17 12:25, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I live in a retirement development with 24 properties and a communal
aerial. The aerial is wired to all the properties and carries Freeview,
DAB and...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 11th 17, 09:16 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 10
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
[OT] LED polarity etc

On 11/10/17 22:04, Pinnerite wrote:
We use to use lead/tin solder but it appears 'elf-n-safety abolished that.

It's easy to get tin/lead solder...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 10th 17, 10:10 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 30
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Offcom and audio Description

On 10/10/17 08:26, tim... wrote:
presumably for the same reason(s) that they don't do subtitles

Which is probably because they don't have enough staff to do much more
than load the standard media...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 9th 17, 10:14 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 24
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
CCTV of the recent road accident near the Natural History Museum

On 09/10/17 10:54, Robin wrote:
On 09/10/2017 04:00, Bill Wright wrote:
I haven't seen any. Seems odd.

Not to me. I don't recall release of official (eg police, council or
TfL) still...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 2nd 17, 09:38 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 01/10/17 22:24, Indy Jess John wrote:
This requirement led to the development of carbon cored HT leads which
carried the voltage for the spark but didn't radiate it.

Carbon also radiates. ...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 1st 17, 11:10 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 20:00, NY wrote:
The sound was FM on a carrier spaced a few MHz from the video carrier (I
forget the spacing) - presumably on the sideband which has had the
higher frequencies...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) October 1st 17, 11:03 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 01/10/17 08:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I agree that is what it actually is, its just like the old dial up
modems only very much wider in bandwidth and hence has more subcarriers.

It's like the...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 30th 17, 03:11 PM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 14:35, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , David Woolley
wrote:

Actually, the signals are then reprocessed with the aim of...
Forum: uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) September 30th 17, 11:36 AM Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Replies: 83
Posted By David Woolley[_2_]
Duty cycle and transmitters

On 30/09/17 09:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was pondering something the other day about the use of bandwidth and how
hard the transmitters had to work.

This is not to do with duty cycle.

Analogue...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 482