Old July 21st 03, 10:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve

Default Freeview - Break up because of too strong a signal

I just cant see that too much signal is the problem here.
You ave missed out some important information from your original post, ie
the location of your aunt (a postcode first four digits) would be useful,
and what about the transmitter, which one does she use? These are important
factors here.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Yes, removing some elements will reduce the gain of the aerial and thus
reduce the signal. There are many ways of attenuating a signal, its

quite
easy to do.
"De" wrote in message

"Tony Walton" wrote in message
De wrote:
Is it possible that I could get picture breakup because the signal

is
too
strong?

Yes. Too much signal can overload the input stages in your box,

leading
to picture breakup. Try getting a couple of inline attenuators from

an
aerial supplier - these plug into the aerial lead and reduce the

signal.

--
Tony

The other option I just thought of was that the antenna came in two

section
9 element on each segment - would removing the end segment help instead?

halve it form an 18 element antenna to a 9?

by the way found a nice PDF document on TV reception

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/tvrecept.pdf