Old April 9th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

On Sunday, 8 April 2018 17:42:19 UTC+1, Tweed wrote:

I'm also unclear about the application of the Regulation to BBC services
given they are not subscription based. But I freely admit I've no idea
if their status as a "trader" for this has already been established.

I think broadcasters are affected by another matter: copyright.
My, very limited, understanding of copyright and other intellectual
property rights is that they are typically operated on a territorial
basis. So when a broadcaster pays to show a film or TV show it pays for
the right to show it in its own territory.

BBC programmes are on Dutch and Belgian cable

AIUI these are received on large terrestrial aerials on the coast and distributed by cable. Long predates mass market satellite.

and Freesat is receivable in a
large part of Northern Europe

Interestingly (well to me at least) BBC satellite transmissions are easily
receiveable in Iceland. Seems the beam forgets to stop at Scotland and just
keeps on going....

Yes - earth is well sort of round, so a beam from 0N 28E aimed at 5W 50 - 60N will have a large area of reduced strength coverage to the north east of its footprint.