Old April 8th 18, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

In article , Tweed wrote:

I'm also unclear about the application of the Regulation to BBC
services given they are not subscription based. But I freely admit
I've no idea if their status as a "trader" for this has already
been established.

I think broadcasters are affected by another matter: copyright. My,
very limited, understanding of copyright and other intellectual
property rights is that they are typically operated on a territorial
basis. So when a broadcaster pays to show a film or TV show it pays
for the right to show it in its own territory.

BBC programmes are on Dutch and Belgian cable and Freesat is
receivable in a large part of Northern Europe

Interestingly (well to me at least) BBC satellite transmissions are
easily receiveable in Iceland. Seems the beam forgets to stop at Scotland
and just keeps on going....

Not very surprising if you do some 3 dimensional geometry.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England