Old April 8th 18, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

I'm also unclear about the application of the Regulation to BBC services
given they are not subscription based. But I freely admit I've no idea
if their status as a "trader" for this has already been established.

I think broadcasters are affected by another matter: copyright.
My, very limited, understanding of copyright and other intellectual
property rights is that they are typically operated on a territorial
basis. So when a broadcaster pays to show a film or TV show it pays for
the right to show it in its own territory.

BBC programmes are on Dutch and Belgian cable and Freesat is receivable in a
large part of Northern Europe

Interestingly (well to me at least) BBC satellite transmissions are easily
receiveable in Iceland. Seems the beam forgets to stop at Scotland and just
keeps on going....