Old April 8th 18, 05:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
The Other Mike

Default The Great DVB-T switch off?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 19:31:18 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 07/04/2018 15:55, Graham. wrote:

Is it true there is a plan in place to move everything to T2 by 2020?

2020 would be too early I think, but I'm sure there's a plan being drafted
out at present, in the meantime plenty of speculation to keep us all
busy......

Turning off DVB-T after only about 20 years, and making people buy *another*
new TV and PVR (assuming they were early adopters who bought DVB-T-only
equipment) is going to be a very difficult one to "sell" to the public.

Early adopters of DVB-T bought Pace, Philips and Nokia ondigital boxes
in late 1998 / early 1999 that stopped working at digital switchover
because of the modulation used or even before when a larger NIT
(Network Information Table) was implemented.

Analog only DVD / HD recorders were still being launched in the UK by
the likes of Sony in irc 2005.

I doubt many bits of tv associated kit even lasts a decade these days,
we may find IPTV replaces traditional means of transmission IF the
shower that is BT Openreach actually delivered infrastructure rather
than BT buying sports TV rights.