Old April 3rd 18, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

In article bb1e894d-c15c-47c0-9e38-
, says...

On Saturday, 17 March 2018 12:52:09 UTC, Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 07:15:09 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 16/03/2018 16:43, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 14:21:13 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

I'm also unclear about the application of the Regulation
to BBC services given they are not subscription based.
But I freely admit I've no idea if their status as
a "trader" for this has already been established.

I think broadcasters are affected by another matter: copyright.
My, very limited, understanding of copyright and other intellectual
property rights is that they are typically operated on a territorial
basis. So when a broadcaster pays to show a film or TV show it pays for
the right to show it in its own territory.

Sure, but the EU could class such restrictive contracts illegal, and demand that they are for the whole of the European Single Market or not at all.

But will the EU stump up the multi-million Euro cost of
building and launching a new satellite to increae the
coverage?

It's not like getting someone in to go up and swap the aerial
for a new one - unless you know someone with a very long
ladder - around 30,000 miles to get up to an object 22,236
miles above the equator!

--

Terry

---