Old April 3rd 18, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 17:16:30 UTC+1, John wrote:
On Friday, 16 March 2018 15:51:03 UTC, Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 12:06:36 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 16/03/2018 11:31, Martin wrote:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-4781_en.htm

Don't get your hopes up too high. I bet the BBC will find some loophole
so that they don't have to make iplayer available across Europe.

Jim

The BBC broadcasts programmes that have been paid for by licence fee
payers. They have been paid for to be broadcast to licence fee payers in
the UK. If they are to be made available outside the UK it should surely
involve some form of payment by those external viewers?

What about the online on demand services from other UK broadcasters,
should they be available free outside the UK?

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Why should a UK licence payer not be able to watch UK anywhere in Europe?

John

Indeed, but sadly we are leaving the EU so $ky, BT etc. will be able to continue gouging or resume doing so.