Old April 3rd 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John[_21_]

Default End of unjustifed geoblocking within EU

On Saturday, 17 March 2018 12:52:09 UTC, Peter Duncanson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 07:15:09 +0000, Robin wrote:

On 16/03/2018 16:43, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 14:21:13 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

On 16/03/2018 12:06, Indy Jess John wrote:
Don't get your hopes up too high. I bet the BBC will find some loophole so that they don't have to make iplayer available across Europe.

I don't think the BBC will have to take the trouble. The new rules don't take effect until 9 months after they are published, by which time we shall, if our present populist government have their way, have left the EU.

They take effect on 1-4-18.

The Regulation was not published until 28 February this year. Hence

"The new rules will start applying on 3rd December 2018, nine months
after the publication of the Regulation in the EU Official Journal, to
allow in particular small traders to adapt."

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-...-single-market

I'm also unclear about the application of the Regulation to BBC services
given they are not subscription based. But I freely admit I've no idea
if their status as a "trader" for this has already been established.

I think broadcasters are affected by another matter: copyright.
My, very limited, understanding of copyright and other intellectual
property rights is that they are typically operated on a territorial
basis. So when a broadcaster pays to show a film or TV show it pays for
the right to show it in its own territory.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Sure, but the EU could class such restrictive contracts illegal, and demand that they are for the whole of the European Single Market or not at all.

John