Old March 22nd 18, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default from another group

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Oh dear I wonder what they think were the good times then.
It was not the convergence but the purity that was affected by magnetic
fields and it was usually not the earth that was to blame it was a speaker
or somewhere a lump of iron.
They did not mention windscreen wipers that operated from the vacuum of
the engine pistons though did they, or trafficators that were mechanical
arms with bulbs in to indicate which way you were turning that used to
shoot off when the screw got loose, or the Mini that was so close to the
ground that you often hit the road or their hydrolastic suspension that
was always losing pressure and thumping you down with no springs.
Then there was of course dripping in the fridge which gran kept for years
and spread it on bread.
How many people grease their hair now and need an antimacaser on the sofa
to stop it staining where the head rests and those sausage shaped things
we had to put under doors to stop the draughts in winter etc.
Those were the good old days them were.

Televisions and radios that took ages to "warm up". (Mind you, today's smart
TVs take as long as a valve TV used to do, because they have to boot up.)

Rust on car bodies (the last car I had with rust was a 1980 Renault 5. My
last two cars have got to 10 years old with no sign of rust.)

Cars with chokes: if you push the choke in a bit too soon, the engine loses
power or stalls altogether as soon as you try to pull out of a junction,
even though it's been running fine until then,)

Stupid seat belts in 2-door cars where the belt is about 10 miles long and
is anchored somewhere beside the rear seat instead of being anchored at
shoulder height on the B pillar. My grandpa's Hillman Avenger was like that
and my grandma would always get her feet caught up in it when she got in the
back to let me sit in the front: she insisted that even when I was little,
"a man's place is in the front".

Mechanical pump-action windscreen washer controls (no electric pump)

Milk delivered in glass bottles: if the milkman dropped one, you knew it was
going to be a long job sweeping all the little bits up before dad got home
and the glass punctured his tyres.

Warm, semi-sour milk in 1/3 pint bottles at school - my infant school (last
60s) served it in the *afternoon* playtime, after it had had all day at room
temperature to go off. I remember a mate of mine who said to the teacher
"why don't do just pour it down the loo" - since that's where it will go
anyway since most people puked straight afterwards.