Old March 16th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default Weather warnings

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:39:39 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Why do they use yellow and amber, which seem to me to be very similar?
Should they not choose colours that are totally dissimilar, as with
electrical cables? Anyone with a visual impairment could be confused.

I understand your point. I think they wish to use colours familiar to
people from traffic lights, etc. The colours used re red, amber, yellow
and green, in decreasing level of severity.
The most severe warning is red, the least is yellow and in between them
is amber which is a colour intermediate between yellow and red. Green is
use in UV Index and Pollen Count warnings.

The yellow colour used could be described as "light yellow".

For Pollen Count there is a colour between amber and red that might be
described as "amberish-reddish".

Info got from:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/symbols

--