Old March 15th 18, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Weather Women

Not sure about that, at least not all of them are like that. it was always
the case on ITV that it was not a condition to understand the text they were
speaking but most of the bbc people seem to be quite knowledgeable.

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 14/03/2018 18:35, Phi wrote:
I have noticed over the last few years that women reading the weather
forecast on the BBC seem to be rising in voice frequency. That skinny one
on
Look North has a very high pitched voice, to the point of being
irritating.

The BBC used to employ Met Office staff to deliver the forecasts. At the
last contract renewal they went to a private company (I can't remember
who, but their name appears on the bottom of the screen at the end of the
forecast) and it is that company who now supply the readers.

These don't have to be trained in understanding the forecast they read off
the autocue, so the intonation and what they say don't always match.