Old March 11th 18, 01:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Default Paranoia or real effect?

Brian Gaff wrote:
I was talking to somebody a week or so back who swears their freeview goes
blacky and stutters whenever a plane from Heathrow goes over.
Now in the good old analogue days you could detect aircraft flutter quite
easily, how would you go about it on a digital system. I did not rise to the
bait of suggesting I go around as to be honest there would be little I could
do.

We certainly got that effect when watching FreeView on our boat moored
very close to London City Airport. When I say close I mean *close*,
the runway lights continued through the marina.

I guess we probably didn't have a particularly strong signal but we
did have a directional aerial outside pointing in the right direction
(except when the wind blew it wonky).

The effect was usually breaking up and then loss of picture (and
sound) for a few seconds when planes went over.

We are after all in a very strong signal area here, and I'd have thought it
most unlikely that a properly installed aerial would have this problem,
which leaves either paranoia or a faulty installation.

Chris Green
ยท