Old March 8th 18, 04:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_14_]

Default Upgrading Tivo to VM 6 box

I'm just starting this process; I've received all the bits and the
instructions and am reading through them.

First thing; I've been given an SH3 as an upgrade to my original SH. I've
read bad things about the SH3 and am reasonably happy with the 160 Mb/sec
I currently get from my SH. I could go to 200 Mb/sec with the SH3 but if
there are intermittent problems then it may not be worth it. Anyone done
this?

Secondly, Virgin don't want the original Tivo back. t should be recycled.
It does, however, have a 500 GB HDD (new one has 1TB). Has anyone removed
the HDD from a Tivo and got it to work in a PC (I'm not after the
contents, just a reformat and use the drive).

The new box is a bit of a puzzle.

It doesn't seem to have a card slot like the old one (I assumed that I
would just swap the card over). I have to phone to activate it.

The connector on the back is BNC like a TV aerial with an adapter to the F
connector on the co-ax lead. I always thought that the F connector was the
better option so I have no idea why this is the set up (unless it is an
American thing).

Anyway, if anyone has travelled this route before me then tips and tricks
would be welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---