Old March 6th 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default As planned I upgraded my TV equipment

On 05/03/2018 08:36, Bill Wright wrote:
I bought a Humax FVP-5000T 1TB receiver and because I'm incapacitated Paul installed it for me. This was three days ago and so far I'm very impressed by the receiver. Very fast to respond, very user friendly, really good clear graphics. I haven't found any programming oddities. Of course we downloaded new software. I miss the Freesat box's front panel display though.

Thanks for your recommendation. We're thinking about getting a new video recorder to replace one that must be nearly 10 years old and won't do HD and has an annoying bug besides. But I'm bemused by the fact that the Humax models seem to come in two flavours: one which will do Freview but not Freesat, and the other Freesat but not Freeview. I have a TV that will receive both and we use both systems when necessary since, as you say, some channels are on and not the other. Also it's nice to have a bit of redundancy.

Can there be some technical reason that Humax doesn't produce a single box with both Freesat and Freeview tuners, or is it simply laziness on their part? That also seems unlikely, for the same reasons that most companies nowadays produce consumer products that e.g. cope with 120v and 240v mains - it's just easier to have one model that suits the whole world.

--
Clive Page