Old March 2nd 18, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default snow affecting reception

Yes, well a friends Pace one was lmost burried one year.
I wonder what happened to all those bigger dishes?

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Friday, 2 March 2018 02:13:57 UTC, wrote:
At the moment the air temperature is well below freezing and there's a
bit of wind, so the powdery snow isn't piling up on TV aerials. However
if conditions change and the TV aerials get little piles of snow and ice
on them reception will be affected. Horizontally polarised aerials are
affected far more than VP ones. A few years ago we were inundated with
calls about poor or no reception. The cause was snow piled on the
aerials. Obviously nothing could be done except wait for a thaw.
We have seen some build-up of snow on dishes in the mast few days, but
nothing much.
A lot of CCTV cameras are out of action. It seems that the gentle heat
from the heater inside the housing causes some melt on the glass, but
then more and more snow blows on and sticks. Eventually, when the snow
stops the lump of solid snow drops off.

Bill

Not as bad as my (1.2m Gregorian) satellite dish, however a protective bag
over the head end reduces losses unless the snow is wet and sticky.