Old February 25th 18, 10:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Rugby - live in 1937?

In article , R. Mark
Clayton wrote:
On Saturday, 24 February 2018 20:59:33 UTC, charles wrote:
In article , Scott
wrote:
The commentator says the first live TV broadcast of the rugby
international was 80 years ago, in 1938.

How did they do that? There was only one transmitter (Alexandra
Palace) and the match was presumably played at Murrayfield or
Twickenham. Would GPO lines be used? Which system was used - Baird
or Marconi?

Pawley mentions coverage of Wimbledon in 1937 using a radio link to
get pictures back to the studio. I assume the same could have been used
at Twickenham a year later. The EMI system had been formally adopted in
Feb 1937.

-- from KT24 in Surrey, England

I think that was the first "outside broadcast" of a sports event.

Fairly easy to get line of sight from all three sports venues mentioned
to Alexandra Palace, so probably just wireless relay.

"Murrayfield" is in Edinburgh, so a bit difficult to get line of sight to
Alexandra Palace. But, I could see it from my bedroom window when growing
up.

Although both Baird and EMI system were used from the start of broadcasts
in November 1936, the 405 line electronic system was predominantly used
(and remained in service for nearly fifty years apart from the war).

As I said, the EMI 405 service was formally abopted (to the exclusion of
the Baird system) in Feb 1937. Up till then the service was a mix of the
wo systems.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England