Old January 29th 18, 11:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default Freeview swizzling sound tracks

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 20:11:28 +0000, NY wrote:

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:15:10 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

====snip====

its all part of the losing the plot world we live in. I have for
example a
cd/dvd player here which sounds excelent but has one flaw any real cd
player should not have, it ducks between tracks, so there you are
listening to the classical cd with track markers that should not be
heard, and hey presto it ducks the sound. I expect more from Panasonic
than this, Software operating cds has been standard for may years, so
why re invent the thing badly. OK so the player can play mp3 cds and
dvds and even ram stick recordings, but all with this strange issue.

Can I assume that you are referring to commercially pressed CDs which,
when played on another CD player, *doesn't* duck the sound at the track
boundaries or are you referring to CD tracks that have been ripped to
recordable media such as CD-R and/or CD+R using CD Burning software?

It's been well over a decade since I last burnt any audio CDs but I do
remember the problem I had creating CDs from ripped tape and vinyl
where the audio CD burning software (Nero5 in my case) kept introducing
unwanted two second gaps between the seperate tracks very much against
my wishes.

Prior to slicing each digitised album or tape into seperate wav files,
I used to simply burn the whole of each album side (whether direct from
the vinyl or a reel to reel tape copy) as a single track which
preserved the original inter-track timings. This, however, meant I
couldn't easily drop onto an individual 'track', hence my discovering
the two second of silence between tracks after going to the trouble of
slicing and dicing my digitisations of each whole side of an album.

Yes. Either you trim the tracks so they begin and end exactly on the
sound, or else you mute the audio (to remove tape hiss or record
crackles) and leave in the gap, dividing it roughly equally between the
end of track n and the beginning of track n+1.

In my case, eliminating tape hiss and/or groove noise was never my aim
when submitting a sliced and diced compilation of a digitised album or
tape to the burning list. Any cleanup of intertrack groove noise was done
prior to the slicing and dicing. Tape hiss was never an issue with the R2R
recordings which were done at 9.5cm/s, mostly on Maxel UD35-90B and
UD35-180B tape on a much improved Akai GX630DB tape deck with the Dolby NR
enabled.

My concern was over the *additional* two seconds of silence that the
audio CD burning option "so helpfully" inserted between tracks by
default. Selecting TaO or DaO (I forget which) was insufficient by
itself, you also had to edit out the automatically applied 2 seconds of
silence at the end of each track in the track burning list to restore the
original track timings.

That additional two seconds of silence wasn't a great issue when the
track burning list consisted only of 'Side 1' and 'Side 2' but it became
an annoyance once I'd decided to slice 'Sides 1 and 2' into a bunch of
tracks to allow me to 'drop the needle' onto the start of any chosen
track during CD playback.

Splitting a vinyl recording that's been made in a studio into individual
tracks is a fairly trivial task when the tracks have been laid down as
seperate and discreet musical numbers. It's Live Performances or concept
albums where the track splitting becomes a little more complicated.

However, I quickly cottoned onto the basic rule which was to choose a
splitting point where it sounds right for the beginning of the next track
even if this is in the middle of the fade out of the current track (with
live performances this was typically to the sound of audience applause).
Having the splitting point just before the fadeout of the current track
has completed doesn't matter since a standards compliant CD player will
just carry on playing through into the next track anyway.

--
Johnny B Good