Old January 29th 18, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default Freeview swizzling sound tracks

On 29/01/2018 16:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
Seems to me that the bit rate of many sound tracks on freeview channels are
getting far worse than before, including obvious artifacts of low bit rates
and the phase distortions you hear in mp3s recorded at 128kbits a sec or
less.
There seems to be a race for the bottom going on, not just in the sort of
rubbish we are offered but the transmission quality as well.
its all part of the losing the plot world we live in. i have for example a
cd/dvd player here which sounds excelent but has one flaw any real cd player
should not have, it ducks between tracks, so there you are listening to the
classical cd with track markers that should not be heard, and hey presto it
ducks the sound. I expect more from Panasonic than this, Software operating
cds has been standard for may years, so why re invent the thing badly. OK so
the player can play mp3 cds and dvds and even ram stick recordings, but all
with this strange issue.

I've never known a CD player that couldn't play a continuous "album
side" consisting of tracks that run into each other correctly. If it's a
commercial audio CD. There's a single spiral track of pits and the track
markers are just directory entries of some sort.

Anything consisting of separate sound files, whether MP3 or something
lossless may have trouble with this depending on whether the player
software can load the next file in time and stitch them together before
they play.

If the CD is burnt at home, even if an audio CD (as opposed to MP3 &c.),
may give trouble depending on the mastering software.

--
Max Demian